Line U2 Seestadt - Karlsplatz
Length: 4.6 miles, travel time 15 mins.
Construction started in 1963, premetro opened in 1966.
Standard platform length: 115 m.
Intervals: 5 mins; peak hours 2 mins; evenings 7-8 mins.
There is a continuous service in the nights before Saturdays, Sundays and holidays with trains every 15 minutes.
Stadion: ("Stadium") - Station opened in 2008.
Krieau: - Station opened in 2008.
Messe-Prater: ("Prater Trade Fair") - Station opened in 2008.
Praterstern: - Station opened in 2008.
Taborstrasse: - Station opened in 2008.
Schottenring: ("Scots' Ring Road") - Station opened in 1980. Part of the inner ring (Ringstrasse) named after Scottish Benedictine monks who came to Vienna in 1155 and founded a monastery and hospital in the vicinity.
Schottentor - Universität: ("Scots' Gate & University") - Station opened in 1980. The Scots' Gate, named after the Scottish monks, used to be here until its demolition in 1863. Vienna University was founded in 1365 and moved into the new building, designed by Heinrich Ferstel and situated here, in 1884.
Rathaus: ("City Hall") - Station opened as "Friedrich-Schmidt-Platz" in 1966, renamed in 1980. The new City Hall was built between 1875 and 1883 by Friedrich Schmidt. The metro station is actually behind the City Hall.
Volkstheater: ("People's Theatre") - Station opened as "Burggasse" in 1966, renamed in 1980.
Museumsquartier: Station opened as "Mariahilfer Strasse" in 1966, renamed "Babenbergerstrasse" in 1991, renamed "Museumsquartier" in 2000. The museum quarter, which is housed in the former imperial stables, is due to open in summer 2001.
Karlsplatz: ("Charles's Square") - Station opened in 1980. Square named after the Karlskirche, a Baroque church commissioned by Emperor Charles IV to thank God for the end of the plague in 1713.
Lerchenfelder Strasse - Opened in 1966, closed in 2003.
Source for information on street names: Simbrunner, Peter: Wien: Strassennamen von A bis Z (Wien: Ueberreuter, 1989).