Line U1 Leopoldau - Oberlaa
Length: 12 miles, travel time: 34 mins.
Construction started in 1969, first section opened in 1978, completed in 2017.
Standard platform length: 115 m.
Intervals: 5 mins; peak hours 2 mins; evenings 7-8 mins.
There is a continuous service in the nights before Saturdays, Sundays and holidays with trains every 15 minutes.
1978-02-25: Reumannplatz - Karlsplatz
Kagran: ("Chagre's village") - Station opened as "Zentrum Kagran" ("Kagran Central") in 1982, renamed in 1989. In the 12th century the land in this area was presumably owned by a certain Count Chagre.
Alte Donau: ("Old Danube") - Station opened in 1982. The Danube was regulated into its present form in the late 19th century; the Old Danube is a remainder of the original river. It is no longer connected to the Danube and is used for bathing and boating in the summer.
Kaisermühlen - Vienna International Centre: ("Emperor's Mills & Vienna International Centre") - Station opened in 1982. The village of Kaisermühlen is named after the mills that once used to stand here; the Vienna International Centre is the official name of the United Nations offices.
Donauinsel: ("Danube Island") - Station opened in 1982. In the 1970s, a new river bed for the Danube was dug to prevent flooding. Most of the excavated soil was heaped up to form an island in the Danube. During the summer, it is populated by bikers, inline skaters, bathers and other people trying to relax.
Vorgartenstrasse: Station opened in 1982. The street is called that way because there is a garden in front of every house.
Praterstern: Station opened in 1981. A street crossing that used to be in the form of a star with the monument of Admiral Tegetthoff at the centre (nowadays it's more of a roundabout, and Tegetthoff looks a bit as if he's lost). Here Nordbahnstrasse, Heinestrasse, Praterstrasse, Franzensbrückenstrasse, Prater Hauptallee, Ausstellungsstrasse and Lassallestrasse intersect. The Prater itself is a huge parkland south-east of the station. Wien Nord railway station is also located here.
Nestroyplatz: Station opened in 1979. Square named after the Austrian comedian and playwright Johann Nepomuk Nestroy (1801-1862).
Schwedenplatz: ("Sweden Square") - Station opened in 1979. Square named thus to thank the Swedes for humanitarian aid granted to Austria between 1919 and 1922.
Stephansplatz: ("St Stephen's") - Station opened in 1978. Square in the Vienna city centre, named after St Stephen's Cathedral, which is situated here.
Karlsplatz: ("Charles's Square") - Station opened in 1978. Square named after the Karlskirche, a Baroque church commissioned by Emperor Charles IV to thank God for the end of the plague in 1713.
Taubstummengasse: ("Deaf-Mute Lane") - Station opened in 1978. Street named for the institute for deaf-mutes, which was located here between 1803 and 1913.
Südtiroler Platz: ("South Tyrol Square") - Station opened in 1978. Square named in memory of the loss of the South Tyrol, which used to be a part of Austria, after World War I.
Keplerplatz: Station opened in 1978. Square named after the astronomer Johannes Kepler (1571-1630).
Reumannplatz: Station opened in 1978. Square named after the Viennese Mayor Jakob Reumann (1853-1923).
Source for information on street names: Simbrunner, Peter: Wien: Strassennamen von A bis Z (Wien: Ueberreuter, 1989).