Metro Logo

Vienna Metro > Lines > U6

Line U6 Floridsdorf - Siebenhirten

Line U6

Length: 10.6 miles, travel time: 36 mins.
24 stations, of which 6 are interchange stations with the S-Bahn and 3 with other metro lines
Apart from four short tunnels under the 12th district, the 20th district and the Westbahnhof and Floridsdorf railway stations, the line is above ground, mostly on elevated track (see diagram).

Construction started in 1894, opened as Metropolitan Railway (Stadtbahn) in 1898
Closed 1918, electrified and re-opened as lines G and GD in 1926.
Closed 1989, 1st section of line U6 re-opened in 1989, completed in 1996.

Standard platform length: 115 m.
Rolling stock used: E6/c6 and T

Intervals: 5 mins; peak hours 2 mins; evenings 7-8 mins.

Timetable

first train intervals last train
Siebenhirten
Alterlaa
Längenfeldgasse
Westbahnhof
Michelbeuern
Spittelau
Floridsdorf
|
|
|
|
4:44
4:49
4:57
|
4:54
5:02
5:05
5:12
5:17
5:25
5:11
5:16
5:24
5:27
5:34
5:39
5:47
3 - 8
minutes
0:01
0:06
0:14
0:17
0:24
0:29
0:37
|
0:14
0:22
0:25
0:32
0:37
0:45
0:32
0:37
0:45
0:48
0:55
|
|
0:44
0:49
|
|
|
|
|
Floridsdorf
Spittelau
Michelbeuern
Westbahnhof
Längenfeldgasse
Alterlaa
Siebenhirten
|
|
4:39
4:46
4:49
4:57
5:02
4:42
4:50
4:55
5:02
5:05
5:13
5:18
  3 - 8
minutes
0:04
0:12
0:17
0:24
0:27
0:35
0:40
0:11
0:19
0:24
0:31
0:34
0:45
|
0:34
0:42
0:47
|
|
|
|
 

Opening dates:

Metropolitan railway:
1898-06-01: Heiligenstadt - Meidling Hauptstraße
1901-08-06: Friedensbrücke - Nussdorfer Straße
Electric metro, Gürtel line:
1925-05-03: Heiligenstadt - Michelbeuern
1925-10-20: Michelbeuern - Meidling Hauptstraße
1925-10-20: Friedensbrücke - Nussdorfer Straße
Modern metro, line U6:
1989-10-07: Heiligenstadt/Friedensbrücke - Philadelphiabrücke
1995-04-15: Philadelphiabrücke - Siebenhirten
1996-05-04: Nussdorfer Straße - Floridsdorf

The Stations:

Floridsdorf: ("the village of Floridus") - Station opened in 1996. Architects: Kucera/Mossburger/Partsch. The name of Vienna's 21st district. This area was once owned by the monks of Klosterneuburg until Abbot Floridus Leeb allowed other people to settle here.

Neue Donau: ("New Danube") - Station opened in 1996. Architects: Holzbauer/Marschalek/Ladstätter/Gantar. The New Danube flows in the new river bed that was excavated in the 1970s to provide better protection against flooding.

Handelskai: ("Trade Quays") - Station opened in 1996. Architects: Holzbauer/Marschalek/Ladstätter/Gantar. Road of trade along the Danube.

Dresdner Strasse: ("Dresden Street") - Station opened in 1996. Architects: Kucera/Mossburger/Partsch. Street named after the city in Saxony.

Jägerstrasse: ("Hunter Street") - Station opened in 1996. Architects: Holzbauer/Marschalek/Ladstätter/Gantar. Street named after a small hunter cabin that once existed here here to protect the church of St Brigid (built in 1645).

Spittelau: ("Hospital-in-the-Mead") - Station opened in 1996. Architects: Kucera/Mossburger/Partsch. Former village (now part of Vienna's 9th district) named after a hospital which was built here during the plague in 1677.

Nussdorfer Strasse: ("the road to Nussdorf") - Station opened in 1898. Architect: O. Wagner. Nussdorf is a former village in what is now Vienna's 19th district.

Währinger Strasse - Volksoper: ("Währing High Street & People's Opera") - Station opened in 1898. Architect: O. Wagner. Währing is Vienna's 18th district. The People's Opera is a popular opera and operetta venue.

Michelbeuern - Allgemeines Krankenhaus: ("Michelbeuern & General Hospital") - Station opened in 1987. Architect: K. Schlauss. Michelbeurn is a former village in what is now the 9th and 18th district; the General Hospital is a huge block built between the 1960s and the 1990s.

Alser Strasse: Station opened in 1898. Architect: O. Wagner. The street forms the border between Vienna's 8th and 9th districts and is named after the small river Als, which used to flow here long ago.

Josefstädter Strasse: ("Josefstadt High Street") - Architect: O. Wagner. Station opened in 1898. Josefstadt ("Joseph's town") is the name of Vienna's 8th district.

Thaliastrasse: Station opened in 1980. Architects: Keimel/Höfer. Street named after the Thalia Theatre, which was situated here between 1857 and 1870.

Burggasse - Stadthalle: Station opened in 1898. Architect: O. Wagner. Street named after the road that leads to the Imperial Palace (Burg). The Stadthalle is a popular venue located here.

Westbahnhof: Station opened in 1898; completely rebuilt and re-opened in 1992. Architects: Holzbauer/Marschalek/Ladstätter/Gantar. Mail railway station for trains to Western Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Hungary.

Gumpendorfer Strasse: ("Gumpendorf High Street") - Station opened in 1898. Architect: O. Wagner. Street named after the former village Gumpendorf ("village on the pond"), now a part of Vienna's 6th district.

Längenfeldgasse: - Station opened in 1989. Architect: E. Geiger. Street named after Josefine Haas von Längenfeld-Pfalzheim (1782 -1846).

Niederhofstrasse: Station opened in 1989. Architect: K. Schlauss. Street named after a former manor, the "Niederhof am Bache".

Philadelphiabrücke: ("Philadelphia Bridge") Station opened in 1989. Architect: K. Schlauss. Bridge named after the first steam engine used on the Southern Railway mainline. Wien Meidling railway station is also located here.

Tscherttegasse: Station opened in 1995. Architect: J. G. Gsteu. Street named after Hans Tschertte, who built some of the city fortifications during the first attacks of the Turks in the 16th century.

Am Schöpfwerk: ("By the pump house") - Station opened in 1995. Architect: J. G. Gsteu. Vienna's drinking water comes via a system of water pipes from the Styrian alps, more than a hundred kilometres away. In this area there used to be a pump house for the water pipe system.

Alterlaa: Station opened in 1979; adapted for metro and re-opened in 1995. Architects: Glück/Hlaweniczka/Requat/Reinthaller. A former village which is now part of Vienna's 23rd district.

Erlaaer Strasse: ("Erlaa High Street") - Station opened in 1995. Architect: J. G. Gsteu. The road between Alterlaa and Neuerlaa.

Perfektastrasse: Station opened in 1995. Architect: J. G. Gsteu. Street named after a local factory.

Siebenhirten: ("Seven Shepherds") - Station opened in 1995. Architect: J. G. Gsteu. A former village which is now part of Vienna's 23rd district.

Closed Stations:

Meidling Hauptstrasse - Opened in 1898, closed in 1985. See line U4.

Friedensbrücke - Opened in 1901, closed in 1991. See line U4.

Heiligenstadt - Opened in 1898, closed in 1996. See line U4.

Source for information on street names: Simbrunner, Peter: Wien: Strassennamen von A bis Z (Wien: Ueberreuter, 1989).