Metro Logo

Vienna Metro > Lines > U2

Line U2 Stadion - Karlsplatz

Line U2

Length: 4.6 miles, travel time 15 mins.
11 stations, of which 1 is a rapid transit interchange, and 4 are interchange stations to other metro lines.
The line is on elevated track until Krieau, and then in tunnel until Karlsplatz.

Construction started in 1963, premetro opened in 1966.
Closed 1980, re-opened as full metro in 1980.
Extension Schottenring-Stadion opened in 2008.
An extension from Stadion to Aspernstrasse is currently under construction.

Line U2 can be regarded as the greatest mistake in Vienna's public transport policy. See the page on the history of this line for details.

Standard platform length: 115 m.
Rolling stock used: U11

Intervals: 5 mins; evenings 7-8 mins.

Timetable

first train intervals last train
Stadion
Praterstern
Schottenring
Volkstheater
Karlsplatz
5:01
5:05
5:08
5:13
5:16
5 - 9
minutes
0:11
0:15
0:18
0:23
0:26
Karlsplatz
Volkstheater
Schottenring
Praterstern
Stadion
5:01
5:04
5:09
5:12
5:16
5 - 10
minutes
0:30
0:33
0:38
0:41
0:45

Opening dates:

Underground tram:
1966-10-08: Mariahilfer Str. - Friedrich-Schmidt-Platz
U-Bahn:
1980-08-30: Karlsplatz - Schottenring
2008-05-10: Schottenring - Stadion

The Stations:

Stadion: ("Stadium") - Station opened in 2008.

Krieau: - Station opened in 2008.

Messe-Prater: ("Prater Trade Fair") - Station opened in 2008.

Praterstern: - Station opened in 2008.

Taborstrasse: - Station opened in 2008.

Schottenring: ("Scots' Ring Road") - Station opened in 1980. Part of the inner ring (Ringstrasse) named after Scottish Benedictine monks who came to Vienna in 1155 and founded a monastery and hospital in the vicinity.

Schottentor - Universität: ("Scots' Gate & University") - Station opened in 1980. The Scots' Gate, named after the Scottish monks, used to be here until its demolition in 1863. Vienna University was founded in 1365 and moved into the new building, designed by Heinrich Ferstel and situated here, in 1884.
Sights: University, Votiv Church, Scots' Monastery, Freyung.

Rathaus: ("City Hall") - Station opened as "Friedrich-Schmidt-Platz" in 1966, renamed in 1980. The new City Hall was built between 1875 and 1883 by Friedrich Schmidt. The metro station is actually behind the City Hall.
Sights: City Hall, House of Parliament, Imperial Theatre (Burgtheater).

Volkstheater: ("People's Theatre") - Station opened as "Burggasse" in 1966, renamed in 1980.
Sights: Museum of Natural History, Museum of Modern Art, Kunsthalle Wien, Leopold Museum, Children's Museum, Spittelberg.

Museumsquartier: Station opened as "Mariahilfer Strasse" in 1966, renamed "Babenbergerstrasse" in 1991, renamed "Museumsquartier" in 2000. The museum quarter, which is housed in the former imperial stables, is due to open in summer 2001.
Sights: Museum of Fine Arts, Tobacco Museum, Children's Museum, Leopold Museum, Imperial Palace (Hofburg).

Karlsplatz: ("Charles's Square") - Station opened in 1980. Square named after the Karlskirche, a Baroque church commissioned by Emperor Charles IV to thank God for the end of the plague in 1713.
Sights: Karlskirche, Opera House, Albertina, Künstlerhaus, Musikverein, Museum of the History of Vienna.

Closed Stations:

Lerchenfelder Strasse - Opened in 1966, closed in 2003.

Source for information on street names: Simbrunner, Peter: Wien: Strassennamen von A bis Z (Wien: Ueberreuter, 1989).