Next: 6.1 Model Systems of
Up: III. SELECTED APPLICATIONS
Previous: III. SELECTED APPLICATIONS
Ludwig Boltzmann would have loved simulation!
6. Simulation and Statistical Mechanics
A short tour takes us to:
- Model Systems of Statistical Mechanics
- Tricks of the trade
- Monte Carlo simulation
- Molecular dynamics simulation
- 1952, Metropolis, Rosenbluth, Teller: Monte Carlo on 32 Hard disks
- 1957, Alder: Molecular Dynamics of hard spheres; microscopic vortices!
- 1964, Rahman, Verlet: Lennard Jones fluid
- 1968-70, Hoover, Ree: Melting transition for hard disks and hard spheres, then
for soft (LJ) spheres!
- 1970: Harvest time for Liquid State Physics; more complex fluids, too (water,
- 1987: Holian, Hoover, Posch: Irreversibility explained
- 1990+ : Diversification, Simulation as standard method in StatMech
Franz J. Vesely Oct 2005
See also: "Computational Physics - An Introduction," Kluwer-Plenum 2001