Welcome to my website!
Currently I am research associate of the president of the ERC, and I am teaching at the Department of Social Studies of Science and at the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Vienna and at the MA program WebSciences at the Art Academy Linz. My research interests are manifold: scientific visualization and imagination practices, the various enactments of social scientific knowledge, science communication, computer machine interfaces, information retrieval, new digital methodologies, social and semantic networks… My PhD thesis, “Imag(in)ing Networks” (working title was: “Performative truths: images as affective evidences”) covers epistemic visualization practices in Social Network Analysis. From 2009-2011 I was working at the Information Retrieval Facility, and from 2005 - 2007 I was employed part time in an Austrian Science Fund research project on “The Materiality and Temporality of Performative Speech-Acts” at the Department of Philosophy, University of Vienna. During the 1990s I worked at Public Netbase. Besides, I was freelancing ….
- Debating free software epistemologies in upcoming Journal of Peer Production with my colleague Judith Simon.
- Article in Theory & Psychology (Vol 22,2, April 2012): SPECIAL ISSUE: SOCIAL TECHNOLOGIES: Cross-disciplinary reflections on technologies in and from the Social Science.
- Co-Editor of Current Challenges in Patent Information Retrieval (Springer 2011)
- Article in Science, Technology and Innovation (Vol 7,1): The Five Senses of Science (2011)
- Contribution to Nikolaus Gansterer’s Drawing A Hypothesis (Springer 2011), the book winning bronze at the Leipzig book fair for “Die schönsten Bücher”!
- Preparation of “Visualisierung Sozialer Netzwerke” VS Verlag (co-editor).
- JKU and University for Art and Industrial Design Linz 2013: Web Sciences: Internet
- Uni Vienna 2013: Digital Methods. Department of Social Studies of Science (with Astrid Mager).
- Donau Uni Krems 2013: Visual Studies: Images of the social - social images? Department of Image Science
- Uni Vienna SE 2012/2013: Epistemic Cultures revisited. Excursions to places of knowledge production. Department of Social Studies of Science.
- Uni Vienna SE 2012: Imagination and imaging in scientific practice. Department of Social Studies of Science.
- Uni Vienna UE 2012: Wissenskommunikation - Soziologisches Wissen zwischen Wissenschaft und Gesellschaft. Department of Sociology.
- SE 2011/2012: Enacting the social: How the social sciences participate in “making up” contemporary societies. Department of Social Studies of Science, University of Vienna.
- SE 2009/2010: Visiting „the laboratories“ of social sciences: research contexts, methods and question. Click here or here.
- September 2013
Horizons for Social Sciences and Humanities
Lithuanian EU Presidency’s Conference, Vilnius
- May 2013
Mapping Topical Landscapes of Social Sciences and Humanities
INSNA Sunbelt Conference Hamburg
- March 2013
Rankings and Cartels. Self-Optimization in Quantified Knowledge Environments
Former West / Learning Place, Berlin
with Felix Stalder and Theo Röhle
- February 2013
Round table: Identification of “frontier research” and “emerging research areas” in research proposals: A bibliometric approach
Workshop, ERC, Brussels
- November 2012
Neue Topo-Logiken des Sozialen? Zur visuellen Analyse in der Sozialen Netzwerkforschung
Lecture, Visual Sociology, University of Vienna
- October 2012
Mixed methods, mixed feelings
EASST Conference Copenhagen
- 24 May 2012
Matrizen analysieren, Graphen träumen
Diskussionsrunde Simulation Komplexer Systeme
Institut für Wissenschaft und Kunst, Vienna, Austria
- 25 April 2012
Museumsquartier, D, Vienna, Austria
- 18 March 2012
On Purpose. New Derivative Order.
Moderation Panel Discussion with Karin Knorr Cetina, Elie Ayache, Thomas Feuerstein und Gerald Nestler. Kunstraum Bernsteiner, Vienna, Austria
If you want to contact me, please do so via this address: katjes [ at ] abwesend.de