Welcome to my website!
I am currently working on my habilitation project proposal on data practices in the computational social sciences, which will feature a cooperation with Jürgen Pfeffer (School of Governance, TU Munich), and Josep Perelló (Open Systems, Uni Barcelona).
Furthermore I am acting as expert and rapporteur in the European “Mutual Learning Exercise” (Policy Support Facility) on open science.
The University of Vienna research platform “Responsible Research and Innovation in Academic Practice” I am associated with was celebrating its kick-off with an event: Making Space and Taking Time (Oct 19-20, 2016 in Vienna).
I am regularly teaching at the Department of Social Studies of Science and Technology and the Department of Sociology at the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Vienna and at the MA program WebSciences at the Art Academy Linz. My research interests are manifold: open science, scientific visualization and imagination practices, the various enactments of social scientific knowledge, science communication, computer machine interfaces, information retrieval, new digital methodologies, social and semantic networks… Since 2015 I am an active member the Austrian Open Access Network OANA and of the Open Knowledge working group on Open Science (Austrian chapter).
Until 2014 my job as research associate of the president of the ERC included finding appropriate digital methods to map European Social Science and Humanities’ activities. From 2009-2011 I was working at the Information Retrieval Facility, and from 2005 - 2007 I was employed in an Austrian Science Fund research project on “The Materiality and Temporality of Performative Speech-Acts” at the Department of Philosophy, University of Vienna. During the 1990s I worked at Public Netbase - Institute for New Cultural Technologies, which later became the World Information Institute. My PhD thesis, “Imag(in)ing Networks” (working title was: “Performative truths: images as affective evidences”) covered epistemic visualization practices in Social Network Analysis.
Besides, I was freelancing ….
- *Painted by numbers* is a A Discursive Installation on Algorithmic Regimes by the World Information Institute, featuring different perspectives of algorithmic realities including mine. We will discuss how calculative practices turn into performative technologies of representation at the ELEVATE festival in Graz on March 3rd, 2017.
- Lisa Sigl and I wrote a short introduction to the research platform “Responsible research and innovation in academic practice” for the OEAD news (in German)
- I blogged about open innovation, open science and the creation of commons here
- We organized a 4 session track on Open Science at the 4S/EASST conference 2016 in Barcelona. A summary of the track by Eduard Aibar and me appears in EASST review
- In a brilliant radio show by Armin Medosch on the genesis of Information Society my humble opinion is featured alongside Jutta Weber, Leonhard Dobusch, Felix Stalder, and many others: Radiokolleg June 13-16, 2016
- In cooperation with Creative Commons I am collecting best practice examples of Open Innovation and the creation of Commons for a mapping project in cooperation with the Institute of Open Leadership, if you happen to know about such a project, please let me know.
- With March 1st, 2016 I start with the preparation of my habilitation project on Open Research Data in the social sciences.
- The Handbook for Historical Network Research is published. Edited by Marten Düring, Ulrich Eumann, Martin Stark, and Linda von Keyserlingk the Handbuch Historische Netzwerkforschung contains a chapter on network visualization written by me, preprint in German available here.
- I was invited as fellow at the Institute of Open Leadership in March 2016
- Happy to be awarded the “Back to Research” grant 2016 that provides support for female post-doc researchers at the University of Vienna. (interview in German)
- My ERA policy briefing on Open Science is online.
- Recommendations for an Austrian Open Access strategy (Nov 2015 in German) - the OANA workgroup hast just released the paper in German, English version here.
- From Science 2.0 to Open Science - Turning rhetoric into action? my paper for the STCSN e-letter Vol 3.
- Visiting scholar: Uni Luzern, Soziologisches Seminar April-May 2015, see course info here (in German)
- Paper with Buschmann, Kasberger, Kraker, Reckling, Rieck, Vignoli: Open Science in Österreich: Ansätze und Status. In: Information. Wissenschaft & Praxis 2015; 66(2–3): 1–9. DOI 10.1515/iwp-2015-0025
- Images of the social - social images @ Danube University Krems in February 2015
- Open Science at Alpbach 2014 (#efa14): My presentation “Cultures of Sharing and Caring” as well as the other participants’s positions made it to the news.
- Conference report (Jan 2014): Horizons for Social Sciences and Humanities (co-edited with Helga Nowotny and Thomas König)
- Comment on the integration of Social Sciences and Humanities into Horizon 2020, the new European Research Framework programme with Thomas König: Obstacles to Integration (Journal: Research Europe, Nov 2013)
- Visiting scholar at Carnegie Mellon University, Institute for Software Research @ School of Computer Science (Oct-Nov 2013)
- Debating free software epistemologies in Journal of Peer Production 3/2013 with my colleague Judith Simon.
- Co-Editor of coming up second edition of Current Challenges in Patent Information Retrieval
- Uni Vienna 2017: Open Science - the better science? Department of Social Studies of Science and Technology
- TU Munich - School of Governance 2017: Social Scientific Methods for BA
- JKU and University for Art and Industrial Design Linz 2017: Soziale Netzwerke: Macht und Wissen
2016: Web Sciences: net.practice
- Uni Vienna 2015: Computer Supported Content Analysis. Department of Social Studies of Science and Technology
- Uni Vienna 2015/2016: Wissenskommunikation - Soziologisches Wissen zwischen Wissenschaft und Gesellschaft. Department of Sociology
- Uni Vienna 2013: Digital Methods. Department of Social Studies of Science (with Astrid Mager).
- Donau Uni Krems 2013: Visual Studies: Images of the social - social images? Department of Image Science
- Uni Vienna SE 2012/2013: Epistemic Cultures revisited. Excursions to places of knowledge production. Department of Social Studies of Science.
- Uni Vienna SE 2012: Imagination and imaging in scientific practice. Department of Social Studies of Science.
- SE 2011/2012: Enacting the social: How the social sciences participate in “making up” contemporary societies. Department of Social Studies of Science, University of Vienna.
- SE 2009/2010: Visiting „the laboratories“ of social sciences: research contexts, methods and question. Click here or here.
- 3 March 2017
Painted by Numbers. Panel discussion
ELEVATE Festival Graz, AT
- 27 Feb 2017
Open Science - Altmetrics and Rewards - key concepts, achievements and policy drivers
European Commission, PSF MLE Open Science, Brussels, BE
- 14 Feb 2017
Netzwerkvisualisierungen in Theorie und Praxis
Spring School Netzwerkforschung lernen, Johannes Gutenberg Universität Mainz, DE
- 21 Nov 2016
ACCOMPLISSH: Challenges and opportunities for SSH impact and action in Europe
Kickoff Conference, Rome IT
- 14 Nov 2016
Von Sparkling Science zu Open Innovation
WU Vienna, AT
- 9 Nov 2016
Open Methods in Social Sciences and Humanities
WTZ Ost, Academy of Fine Arts, Vienna, AT
- 25 Oct 2016
European Pathways to Open Science
OpenAIRE and FFG event, Vienna, AT
- 23 Oct 2016
Netzpolitik und Aktivismus in Europa
Paneldiscussion @ elevate Festival Graz, AT
- 10-11 Oct 2016
Ein funktionaler OA-Markt. Welche Infrastrukturen und Services brauchen wir?
Plenary discussion. Open Access Tage München, LMU, Munich, DE
- 29 Sept 2016
OANA WG Future of Scholarly Communication
Open Access Network Austria, WG meeting, FWF, Vienna, AT
- 31 Aug - 3 Sep 2016
Open Science in Practice @ 4S/EASST Barcelona
Science and Technology by other means, ES
- 2 June 2016
Lecture: Parasites, freeriders, predatory publishers, gatekeepers: Lessons from academic publishing in turmoil
- 1 June 2016
Open Access und die Zukunft von Scholarly Communication (mit Peter Kraker)
OANA - Open Access Network Austria (see also the Vienna Principles), Vienna, AT
- 9-10 May 2016
The politics of Open Science (conference report here)
Session at the STS Conference Graz, AT
- 28 April 2016
The Promise of Total Automation: Seriöse Seancen
Kunsthalle Wien, AT
- 16 April 2016
Open Science within Open Innovation
Ludwig Boltzmann Society, Lab for Open Innovation in Science, Vienna, AT
- 11 April 2016
Where does our science go?
Open Knowledge Meetup Vienna, AT
- 7 April 2016
Open Science - Was kommt nach Open Access? (slides)
Netzpolitischer Abend Wien, AT
- 14-18 March 2016
Open Leadership Institute
Open Policy Network workshop in Cape Town, South Africa
- 22 Jan 2016
Screening the Algorithmic Imagination
Panel discussion at Top Kino, Vienna, AT
- 3 Dec 2015
Open Science Jetzt!
Panel discussion at lecture series’ kick off event, in cooperation of University of Vienna, and Open Knowledge
- 22-25 October 2015
Medien als Vehikel der Kritik
Momentum Kongress, Hallstatt, AT
- 25 September 2015
Algorithmic Regimes and Generative Strategies: Regulatory politics of code and machine
Technical University Vienna, AT live stream here
- 17 September 2015
Open Science - zur Mannigfaltigkeit der offenen Wissenskulturen
Bibliothekartag, Universität Wien, AT >> my slides here
- 26 May 2015
Workshop on Standards and Practices in Large-Scale Social Media Research, Oxford, UK
Held in Conjunction with ICWSM 2015
- 25 March 2015
Open Science Workshop and Lecture
Wege des Gestaltens von Geistigem Eigentum, Akademie der Bildenden Künste, Wien, AT
- 13 January 2015
Auf zu neuen Horizonten? Zur Rolle der Sozial- und Geisteswissenschaften im Rahmen des Europäischen Forschungsrahmenprogrammes Horizon 2020
ITA Seminar, AT
- August 2014
Alpbach Technology Forum 2014, AT
- June 2014
The roles of Social Sciences and Humanities in Addressing Global Challenges; and
Mapping Social Sciences and Humanities
ESOF European Science Open Forum 2014, Copenhagen, DK
- 5-6 May 2014
Critical Issues in Science and Technology Studies,
Conference, Graz, AT
- 21 February 2014
On the Importance of Isolates in Text Networks (with Jürgen Pfeffer, CMU)
International Sunbelt Social Network Conference, Florida, USA
- 28 November 2013
Mapping Social Sciences and Humanities with a socio-semantic network approach
Presentation of Book: Networking Networks. Origins, Applications, Experiments. (Manfred Füllsack, ed.), IWK, Vienna, AT
- 14 November 2013
Initiatives and mappings of the humanities
Conference: Negotiating the Humanities, Aarhus University, Denmark
- 29 October 2013
Science of Science: describing knowledge, making decisions, gaming the system?
ISR Seminar Series, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA
- September 2013
Horizons for Social Sciences and Humanities
Lithuanian EU Presidency’s Conference, Vilnius, LT
- May 2013
Mapping Topical Landscapes of Social Sciences and Humanities
INSNA Sunbelt Conference Hamburg, DE
- March 2013
Rankings and Cartels. Self-Optimization in Quantified Knowledge Environments
Former West / Learning Place, Berlin, DE
with Felix Stalder and Theo Röhle
- February 2013
Round table: Identification of “frontier research” and “emerging research areas” in research proposals: A bibliometric approach
Workshop, ERC, Brussels, BE
If you want to contact me, please do so via this address: katjes [ at ] abwesend.de