August 01, 2008

DJ

Music in Basancon

The man visible in this picture apparently has the habit of playing music in his apartment at such a volume that it can be heard on the entire square in front of Besanšon railway station, and also on the platforms of said railway station. He was playing music every time I passed by, so I assume it's some kind of regular feature. The music he is playing may require some getting used to, but contrary to other music that you often hear from stereos from other apartments or cars (rule of thumb: the louder it is played, the worse said person's taste in music), it was actually not all that bad. He mostly seems to play old rock'n'roll tracks and French chansons from the 1950s.

The interesting thing was that he was constantly moving back and forth betweeen his record player and the window -- putting on a record, then looking out the window, then, when the song had barely finished, or even while it was still playing, back to the record player and a new song. He was like a hectic DJ trying to pay as many songs to an imaginary audience as possible. Not that he had a large audience. Nobody who happened to pass by actually stopped to listen, and I only listened to his playlist because I was sitting on the railway station's platform, waiting for my train. When my train arrived, he had been going on for at least 30 minutes, and it did not appear as if he had any intention to stop anytime soon.

Posted by Horst on August 1, 2008 07:11 PM to the land of Potz | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Jann said on August 7, 2008 07:58 PM:

I've read about this guy several times now, both in English and German. It seems that he:

1.Enjoys pretending to be a DJ, and/or,
2.Is hoping someone will like his music and hire him on as a DJ, and/or,
3.Is trying to impress a particular person, e.g., he has a crush on one of the railroad employees.

In any case, if he's over the age of fourteen, or, well, sixteen maybe, he's not a paragon of mental health. But in writing this, I feel like I'm belaboring the obvious. What strikes me most about this picture is how bleak everything looks; bleak, yes, very bleak. Also the Carnivor building. I hope this isn't representative of the country of France in general!

Jann said on August 7, 2008 08:27 PM:

In the above comment, the word "picture" refers to the photograph, not the scenario.

Horst said on August 8, 2008 12:08 AM:

I think he was around 50 years old. Can't say anything about his mental health. The Carnivor building was in a different city, and I took apicture of it because it was so particularly bleak.

Jann said on August 9, 2008 06:31 PM:

Oh, well, this guy. I wonder if he was taking requests; "Got anything by Creedence Clearwater Revival?" And I must say that the bleakness of the Carnivor building was very well captured. ;-)

Jann said on August 9, 2008 09:05 PM:

You see, if this guy would play something like "Proud Mary" or "Bad Moon Rising," he'd have me dancing on the railway platform. People might doubt *my* mental health, but I don't care. Life is just too darn short!!!