July 08, 2008

They installed a new coffee vending machine at the office. The new machine is essentially the same as the old one, only it doesn't throw those sticks into the coffee cups which you use to stir the coffee, and the coffee is actually drinkable now.

The one thing that struck me as the biggest difference is the message that is displayed when the coffee is ready. The old machine said "thank you thank you thank you", whereas the new machine says "see you again soon".

Come to think of it, the coffee from the old machine was gruesome enough that the enthusiastic thanks for actually buying some seemed totally adequate, and the new coffee has something oddly addictive about it...

Posted by Horst on July 8, 2008 11:31 PM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Richard said on July 10, 2008 06:10 PM:

Have you considered the possibility of ingredients other than caffeine?

Richard said on July 10, 2008 06:11 PM:

PS: Is your email address going to be turned into an @me.com address?

dieter said on July 11, 2008 09:48 AM:

@Richard, caffeine is an addictive drug alright. So, I guess it is enough to make the coffee taste less abominable to get people on it.
I didn't quite get the punchline of your postscipt, though...

Richard said on July 11, 2008 01:23 PM:

@dieter oh, that's about Horst's @mac address, and since .mac is now being replaced by me.com, I was just wondering whether that would change as well.

Horst said on July 13, 2008 01:11 AM:

me.com sounds totally egocentric and egotistical, so I'm definitely not going to change my email, apart from the fact that it would be total hell to inform everybody about a change of address.

The stupidest thing Apple has come up with so far.

dieter said on July 14, 2008 08:58 AM:

I totally agree with Horst's analysis. I think, every Mac user should be proud to have a @mac address. I certainly would if I could only afford to buy the Mac I wanted...

Surprising that they would come up with something like this after what I think was a period of commercial thriving.

Jann said on July 30, 2008 09:53 PM:

Back to the coffee machine. "Confidence is conqueror of men." Martin Tupper said this, but I first saw it in my HS yearbook. A new machine displaying a confident attitude, and the coffee goes from "gruesome" to "oddly addictive." Enough said!