April 15, 2008

Scoot

Of all the nonsensical dreams that I've had in my life, the one from last night was one of those that made least sense. In it, all that happened was basically that I rolled around the city on a micro scooter. Nothing else, as if me on a micro scooter was really everything my subconscious wanted to tell me. I don't even own a micro scooter. Never have. Never wanted one. It makes no sense at all.

Then I woke up. Again. Thanks to my pollen allergy, the inside of my nose has swollen to dramatic proportions, so much in fact that I am now snoring at such a noise and vibration intensity that I wake up every time the snoring starts, which, as I had to notice last night, is apparently quite often.

I fell asleep again after the crypic scooter dream (and probably a few others that I can't remember) and woke up this morning to an unpleasant pain in my nose-throat region. It felt as if I had snored myself sore.

I could up my dose of antihistamines. Or I could buy a micro scooter and roll off to see an ear-nose-throat specialist. Maybe that's what this dream was all about.

Posted by Horst on April 15, 2008 08:40 AM to notes from the subconscious | Tell-a-friend
Comments
dd said on April 16, 2008 08:14 PM:

probably the sound of your snoring reminded your unconcious of a scooter? if you start having dreams about lawnmovers and chainsaws, too, youŽll know where they are coming from.

Jann said on April 18, 2008 10:22 PM:

I don't know anything about scooters, so I consulted with a six year old male member of my family and was told, "They're super cool. I saw one when I was four years old. Some have motors and some you push. You can put both hands on and both feet on and ride them on the sidewalk or in the street. The ones with motors go super fast. Will you buy me one?"

I think role of the snoring was to wake you up so you would remember the dream. Aren't all grown men little boys at heart? Your subconscious is telling you that you want to do something new; something cool, fun and fast. (I'd suggest a helmet.)

dieter said on April 24, 2008 08:55 AM:

@Horst, when I stumble over the same blog entry every time, I go visit your blog, I start giving that entry a second thought...

Or rather, I finally end up making the comments I did not think worth making at the first read:

1. You were dreaming about a micro scooter without motor, weren't you?
2. As to the interpretation, I am more with Freud: Your subconcious tells you that your respiratory system is desperately longing to run freely.

Horst said on April 24, 2008 01:57 PM:

1. Yes, one of those foldable little motorless thingies that little children (and sometimes tall adults) use to make other people jump off the pavement in terror.

2. That seems to be the most likely explanation, yes.

Jann said on April 24, 2008 09:04 PM:

This explanation does make sense, but wouldn't occur to me initially, because I always have the opposite dream. When my nose gets plugged up when I'm sleeping, to the point where I can't breathe through it, I have terrifying dreams about not being able to breathe, where I'm struggling for every breath and not getting enough air. It's not until I wake up that I realize that I have merely to open my mouth.
(Luckily I wake up pretty quickly).

I remember reading years ago that if you pinch the nose of a sleeping Caucasian infant, the infant will struggle to breathe through its nose, whereas if you pinch the nose a sleeping Asian infant, the infant immediately opens its mouth, without even missing a breath.

In my case, at least, it seems that this Caucasian trait has been carried into adulthood.