February 12, 2008

The Drawer

a selection of cansI do appreciate the fact that the bread I eat contains apparently no preservatives at all. I can say this with some certainty because even at this time of the year, when my kitchen is mostly dark and cool, it takes only something like 3 or 4 days for the bread to become mouldy.

It's during the moments of the recognition of the fungus on the bread and the thought "but I bought this only a few days ago" that I'm unsure whether I should have my kitchen checked for particularly aggressive fungus spores, or tell my local supermarket that they should have their shop checked for these spores, because the whole bread-getting-mouldy thing seems to be happening a lot faster now than it used to.

And it's moments like these when I dig through the drawer in my kitchen and realize there's really nothing in there that would taste nice without some bread to go with it.

Plus, I also realize that some of the things I'm buying, like the local variety of spam (edible spam, not the stuff in your inbox), are pretty revolting. Or the fact that the can of cassoulet in genuine duck stock brings back fonder memories of the day when I bought this can in a supermarket in Toulouse than of the contents of the second can bought on that day and eaten a few months ago.

I suppose the kimchi works without bread. I wonder if I'll ever feel like eating that can of cassoulet.

Posted by Horst on February 12, 2008 10:07 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Jann said on February 13, 2008 07:55 AM:

If you put the bread in the refrigerator, it takes a long time to get moldy, but then of course it gets stale right away. So then you have to toast it, or sprinkle water on it, wrap it in aluminum foil and heat it in the oven. That works pretty well.

I don't know if this happens in Austria, but in the US we have a problem with companies putting overly optimistic "sell by" dates on items, which results in things being moldy, or spoiled before they're even sold, or very shortly thereafter. I've seen this a lot with cottage cheese, as well as bread; other things too.

Sandra said on February 13, 2008 09:28 AM:

What is the right place to store bread in? If one uses anything with plastic, it gets mouldy very fast. Thick paper bags are good, also linen.
(This also being a very sensible comment.)

Jann said on February 13, 2008 04:26 PM:

As it happens, Sandra, I have two beautiful and delicately embroidered linen bread bags passed down from my mother's Great Aunt Tilly. Only two problems:

1) If I put the bread in there overnight, the next day it's so hard you need a power saw to cut a slice, and,
2) The bags themselves are harder than hell to iron.

holly said on February 15, 2008 09:33 AM:

If you cut up the spam and the kimchi, then stir fry it with dark sesame oil, soya sauce, garlic, spring onions, any other veggies you have lying around, and some (cooked) rice, you will end up with a mean kimchi bokum bap (kimchi fried rice). It's pretty yummy, and you might even get turned on to the spam (very popular in Korea).

dieter said on February 19, 2008 10:42 AM:

We store our bread in the paper bag they come with and put that again in a linen bag. Usually, the bread gets hard before it gets mouldy. Probably, this is also question of the kind of bread you choose. We usually take wholemeal bread. And we tend to exclude those kinds that get hard in less than three days. Buying half loafs more often also helps. My brother puts portioned bread into the freezer and bakes it up before eating.

Jann, we don't iron bread-bags. However our capeverdian model doesn't get overly wrinkeled either ;-)

Jann said on February 25, 2008 06:47 AM:

I have to admit that I made the whole thing up about bread bags. In the US we don't know from linen bread bags; nobody (meaning none of my friends, family, nor co-workers) ever heard of them. Well, until now, that is!

I thought it would be obvious I was joking, but I guess the joke's on me. Don't feel bad, dieter; my best friend believed every word!!