October 11, 2007

Schranz

Karl SchranzI have now reached an age at which the not just the language and musical taste, but also the behaviour and pretty much everything about young people has become a total mystery to me. A recent newspaper article has now explained a few, but unfortunately not a lot of things. It kind of explains some of the more recent youth fashion fads, including the return of the abominable mullet, but some of the more mysterious aspects of youth language appear more confusing than ever before. For example, the article states that "Bussi" ends up as "Bucc" because youths replace "z" with "c" and "a" with "". This does, however, not seem to be a conclusive explanation for a word with no "z"s and no "a"s in it.

At least I know now that "schranz" is not derived from former skiing legend Karl Schranz, but is really a contraction of "schreien" and "tanzen" (scream + dance). It still doesn't explain why anybody would actually listen to that kind of music, but then I suppose some things will remain mysteries forever.

Posted by Horst on October 11, 2007 04:26 PM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Richard said on October 11, 2007 07:34 PM:

Well, unlike me you probably didn't go to youtube and actually look up the clips they wrote about in that article. It'd be even more mysterious to you then.

Horst said on October 11, 2007 10:41 PM:

I'm actually afraid of YouTube. Plus, I had a guy I didn't really know Schranz-dancing in my kitchen a few weeks ago. Don't ask.

dieter said on October 12, 2007 09:58 AM:

I guess I have quite a healthy relationship to YouTube: I usually get links to YouTube at work, but my webbrowser here has no Flash. So, I generally don't follow the links. Blissful ignorance ;-)))

Richard said on October 12, 2007 02:59 PM:

@Horst: Really, no asking? I'd really like to know though!

nora said on October 13, 2007 04:07 PM:

as in "gemma schranzen?"

Jann said on October 14, 2007 06:25 PM:

I believe it has always been the purview of youth to behave in ways that vex, confound, and antagonize their elders, particularly in matters of dress, hairstyles, music, dance and speech. But changing the spelling of words so that they end up being pronounced completely differently?! That's new to me!