July 27, 2007

Cultural wrapper

wrapperThere must be something culturally specific about free newspapers in France. Every single vinyl record that I've bought from a French seller on eBay so far, regardles of where the seller is located, arrived wrapped in the classified ads section of a free local newspaper. At first I thought it was a mere coincidence, but now that about the 8th or 9th record arrived that way, I'm starting to think that it must be a cultural thing.

Come to think of it, until recently I used to wrap Christmas and birthday gifts in newspapers, but I always chose a page that contained an article with some significance for the person who received the present, but never a free newspaper and (I think) never the classified ads section. And I stopped doing that.

Posted by Horst on July 27, 2007 07:29 PM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Alain Contet said on July 29, 2007 08:34 PM:

The French newspapers you're talking about contain only classified ads. There are no articles.
That doesn't explain why they're being used to wrap records though...

Jann said on July 31, 2007 03:12 AM:

I suppose it makes sense both economically and ecologically to use for wrapping something that you: 1) can get free, and 2) is destined to end up in the recycling bin anyway. And in this case it seems to serve the purpose; you haven't said that the records arrive broken or damaged. But doesn't the newsprint rub off on everything? The record jackets, for instance? Hands, clothing? That would be my only objection to this practice.

laura g brown said on August 5, 2007 05:18 AM:

I enjoyed this cultural bon mot

Horst said on August 6, 2007 12:50 AM:

Of course it makes sense, but why are only the French doing it and no-one else? And why is it always classified ads and not regular news?

Jann said on August 6, 2007 02:22 AM:

I personally would prefer to have my records wrapped it the "Artvoice" type of free newspaper rather than the "Pennysaver" type, but who can understand the French?