March 29, 2007

On my desk this morning

A thriller entitled Das Geheimnis des Buchhändlers ("The Bookseller's Secret"; the actual English title is The Bookman's Promise). The caption on the back reads: "Loving books can be deadly."

What nonsense. Booksellers do not love books. At least no more than pimps love their prostitutes. It's commerce. It's about money. Or sometimes it isn't because I've repeatedly had to deal with booksellers who couldn't care less if the ordered books arrive at the library or not.

Booksellers loving books is just a cliché, and a pretty bad one too. It's almost as bad as librarians reading books.

Posted by Horst on March 29, 2007 11:09 AM to books & bookkeeping | Tell-a-friend
Comments
dieter said on March 29, 2007 02:55 PM:

So how about librarians writing books?
;-)

mig said on March 30, 2007 06:14 AM:

That reminds me of an undertaker's daughter I knew who was tired of them being portrayed as necrophiliacs.

library mistress said on March 30, 2007 11:11 AM:

When I consider some of our booksellers' delivery times concerning regularly shippable books, I think they must love them too much to deliver them on time.

dieter said on April 11, 2007 09:44 AM:

Happy easter!
Your fan no one is impatiently waiting for news on your blog. And you know how painful it can be to displease your greatest fan...
;-)

Jann said on April 11, 2007 02:49 PM:

I had to read your comment three times, dieter, before I understood that you meant "fan number one."

I've read a couple of the novels in the "Bookman" series by John Dunning. I think the guy in the novels really does love books...

dieter said on April 12, 2007 09:16 AM:

Sorry Jann. Now I see...

Jann said on April 25, 2007 06:04 PM:

I wasn't meaning to criticize your comment, dieter, only just that I was initially confused ;-)

And, Horst,I know what it's like not to feel inspired; that is to say, I know how inspiration or the lack thereof works in my life, and I expect that it's similar for others. I would never say "Write," or "Please write," or anything along those lines, but I am going to say this: "We miss your posts, darn it!" I do, dieter does, others also. Just so you know.

dieter said on April 26, 2007 10:11 AM:

I can only endorse Jann's posting. Every morning I open your blog, and I start feeling like Bill Murray.

laura g brown said on April 29, 2007 06:58 AM:

you haven't posted anything since March 29.