March 27, 2007

Ear, nose, throat

There's this virus going around that affects your entire ear, nose and throat region, but not everything at once. It affects one section per day really painfully, and then the next day it has moved on to the next section and hurts there. I never went from a tonsilitis to a laryngitis to a common cold in three days. The interesting thing about this virus is, (a) you know why ear nose & throat doctors are, well, ear nose & throat doctors, and (b) you can actually feel how these regions are connected. Quite painfully so, actually. It's like applied anatomy, only you don't need anyone to explain the actual items to you because every day a single one of them hurts, parts that you never even knew existed in your ear nose & throat region.

Laryngitis, by the way. Come to think of it, I never used to have it before I started teaching. And ever since I keep having it more or less irregularly, I'm not sure if one day with a really sexy voice is worth several days of pain and several days without a voice. So this current virus with just one day of pain was something of an improvement.

Posted by Horst on March 27, 2007 09:43 PM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Jann said on March 30, 2007 02:08 PM:

We had this virus, or a very similar one, in California about a year ago. It moved around just the way you described, but after the laryngitis came a nasty chest cough that hung on for anywhere from two to six weeks.

nora said on April 3, 2007 01:48 PM:

who are you kidding? the switch from tonsils to larynx via post nasal drip is quite a ride. that california thing is definitely back east now. and no "metavirulent" anywhere in sight. is there a special name for a sore uvula (i knew at some point the phonetic vocabulary will come in handy)?

Jann said on April 3, 2007 02:40 PM:

Uvulitis.(Inflammation of the uvula.)The cough part was the worst for me. My supervisor told me to go home from work and not to come back until I could stop coughing. She didn't have to tell me twice.

Jann said on April 3, 2007 03:54 PM:

btw: the quilts look great, Nora!

nora said on April 4, 2007 09:46 PM: