February 15, 2007

The violin player looked unhappy

At the concert, they had, among other things, a bass saxophone, which is a huge tubey thing about twice the size of the saxophone player with long, long tubes that wind around the whole thing two or three times. The sound comes out at the top end of the thing. The way it was played it sounded like deep, sustained farting noises, which were played into an overhead microphone. The tuba player also had an overhead microphone, and he made sounds like I've never heard out of a tuba. At one point it sounded like someone stepping on a a couple of hamsters, and I mean the squeaking and the crunching noises.

When they had finished, there was frenetic applause from the audience. it was the kind of moment where you ask yourself which percentage of those present actually liked what they had heard, and how many only applauded because the artist was this really famous guy.

The violin player looked unhappy. She looked unhappy while she was playing, and when the band received the frenetic applause, it seemed as if she didn't really believe it. I got the suspicion that possibly the drummer was her boyfriend, and that's why she played in that band, but perhaps she was enjoying herself and just couldn't show it all that well.

I kind of liked her. I think she was pretty. I also liked the concert, though it was really weird. Afterwards, I thought about putting John Coltrane's Om on my stereo to relax a bit. Then I realized I don't have that album, so I settled for something else.

My brain still hurts.

Posted by Horst on February 15, 2007 01:42 AM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend
Comments
dieter said on February 15, 2007 09:20 AM:

Must have been the kind of concert I have always wondered what pushes people to attend voluntarily.

Horst said on February 15, 2007 11:40 AM:

Well, the artist was this really famous guy.

Jann said on February 15, 2007 06:17 PM:

I suppose you could say, "Famous is as famous does." Judging from the way you've described the sounds produced by these instruments, I think I would have been clapping frenetically with relief that the event was finally over. But I'm confused; you said you liked the concert, and also that your brain hurt. Is this a contradiction, or is one to assume that you enjoyed it in an intellectual way even though it was painful?

dieter said on February 16, 2007 09:56 AM:

btw. having checked on my bank account I regret to say I am in no position to help you with your Om situation... :-/

Diana Eastment said on February 17, 2007 01:41 AM:

I have only one criticism of your blog, Horst. You need to write more! I think you write brilliantly, btw. But oh, how does one sustain the inspiration?

Jann said on February 17, 2007 08:00 PM:

I agree with Diana Eastment's comment. One of the reasons I like your blog so much, Horst, is that, in many cases, you write about things the same way I think about them. So, in that way, your posts strike a chord with me.

dieter said on February 19, 2007 09:40 AM:

I have to agree with Diana and Jann: You really make your devoted fans suffer...

Horst said on February 19, 2007 12:30 PM:

Not on purpose. Inspiration is a tricky thing.