January 16, 2007

Older

kuufuu is people

I realize that the older I get, the more trouble I have understanding young people, and the more trouble they have understanding me. For example, from a random sample of 25 people nobody got the "kuufuu is people" joke that I used on the promotional Messages from the Lost Continent website.

Not the "kuufuu" part, because for that you obviously need to read the Messages. They didn't get the "is people" part, nor my snickering reference to green biscuits.

Most of them also didn't know who or what Charlton Heston is. That's where it got really frightening. Not that I think that a life without knowledge of Charlton Heston is all that bad; quite on the contrary. It's the realization that my jokes are becoming generation-specific that hurt most.

Posted by Horst on January 16, 2007 07:46 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Lucid said on January 16, 2007 08:11 PM:

Well... you could say, not everyone knows every Sci-Fi-movie ever made...
What's *really* frustrating: My kids do not respond in any way if I say *palim-palim* in a high voice... they even don't know who Princess Di was...

dieter said on January 17, 2007 11:14 AM:

@Lucid. Long live private TV. For lack of contents (or money), they repeat all the old OTTO and HALLERVORDEN sketches every now and then.

dieter said on January 17, 2007 11:17 AM:

@Horst. I must admit that I also failed to connect this one. So, it is not only generation-specific.

But, it is true. My children grow up in a world that is in many ways completely different from mine.

Jann said on January 17, 2007 02:41 PM:

I did my own informal, non-scientific survey and concluded that this is more a matter of whether one is a Sci-Fi buff than it is a generational thing.

Another non-generational thing: I used the term "Rube Goldberg" at work here in California and none of my coworkers (of any age) knew what it meant. I had to explain it to them. Then I asked my older daughter if she was familiar with the term, and she knew more about it than I do.

Jann said on January 17, 2007 02:46 PM:

I suppose I should add that my daughters grew up back east.

dieter said on January 18, 2007 08:59 AM:

@ Jann. OK, I googled the "is people" part and solved the mistery for my part. I must say that I definitely am a Sci-Fi buff, but I missed that one.

Jann said on January 18, 2007 11:54 AM:

Well don't feel bad, dieter, I googled "is people" together with "green biscuits" to figure it out, but judging my "survey" I sort of got the impression that one has to be a hard-core Sci-Fi buff in order to make an immediate connection between these terms and the movie Soylent Green.

mig said on January 18, 2007 02:22 PM:

Not at all. I'm not a hardcore sci-fi buff by any stretch of the imagination, and I got it immediately. Which leaves only the "old" option, I suppose.

Jann said on January 18, 2007 07:56 PM:

@ mig: I love it when people don't agree with me! It can make for such an interesting, even spirited disussion, one of my favorite pastimes. But in this case I have something to say which sort of supports your position. The one person I found who who made this connection immediately happens to be a male colleague, age forty-nine. He likes sci-fi, but does not consider himself hard-core.

One thing I can say with certainty is that persons in their late forties are not old, being merely middle-aged, and having along the way (hopefully) acquired some knowledge, perhaps even wisdom, and are still at an age where they can apply it in their daily lives. You, of course, know this ;-)

The Cartoonist said on January 18, 2007 11:20 PM:

"kufuu is people" - brilliant, absolutely brilliant. But then I, probably like Horst, was under the impression that _everybody_ knows this classic SF movie. Sigh.

dieter said on January 19, 2007 08:52 AM:

To cut a long discussion short, a great deal of jokes are generation specific. Or would you think, Horst, that your parents would have gotten the joke. Mine certainly would not.
On the other hand, I am quite amused to hear from my children that some of the more infantile jokes of my childhood time are still being told in only slightly distorted forms. Jokes like "Hi" - "Wo" seem to travel over time and space. At least in german speaking countries, that is. But culture dependent jokes are yet another story, and I can only recommend all non-Sci-Fi buffs to consult Babylon 5 on that subject. It's only one series out of five seasons, but season 2 to 4 are really worth watching.

Rodney said on January 23, 2007 09:40 PM:

Oh dear. I knew that without being prompted. Does that mean I'm old?

dieter said on January 24, 2007 10:44 AM:

@Rodney: Apparently, you didn't follow the discussion closely enough.
1. You are not old (cf. Jann)
2. It means, you are a SciFi buff ;-)

Jann said on January 26, 2007 04:20 PM:

In the absence of new posts, I started reading posts from previous Januaries. I got to January 01, 2004, "Best Of This Blog 2003", which led me to "Don't believe his lies" (September 14, 2003). Oh, well, I mused, it could be something about dubya. But, no, this is a very funny post relating to a movie I actually recognise, even saw twice, in fact. "Memento" is a movie which, in my family anyway, spans the generations in its appeal, and as with "Messages", doesn't require that one be a science fiction fan to appreciate it.

Horst said on January 26, 2007 08:52 PM:

Sorry about the lack of posts recently. I am both uninspired and extremely busy.

That photograph with the Memento reference is one of my all-time favourite blog posts by the way.