January 14, 2007

Dresscode

There's this man living in the neighbourhood who seems to be content wearing nothing but a polo shirt, shorts, and sandals all the time. I've noticed him several times and his dresscode seems to be persistent, and it doesn't seem to be his response to the unbelievably mild winter we are having this year because I also saw him on the one cold day that we had, and he was wearing the exact same thing.

That one cold day was that day when a friend asked me if my shirt was really everything I was wearing underneath my jacket, and if I wasn't feeling cold like that, and I said I wasn't. A little while later we were encountering the man in the polo shirt, the shorts and the sandals walking his dog, and it looked bizarre, him compared to everybody else in the street, all of them wearing thick coats and jackets.

I remember when I was living in Scotland I was one of the few students who didn't show up at the lectures in a t-shirt, but contrary to everybody else I seemed to be the only one impressed by the snow storm outside. I also remember that a week later, the collective coughing and sneezing was so loud you could barely hear the lecturer, and I remembered pitying him for the amount of viruses and bacteria dispelled in his direction.

But even in Scotland, no-one was wearing shorts. But then again, in Scotland no-one above the age of ten is wearing shorts.

Posted by Horst on January 14, 2007 11:26 PM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Jann said on January 15, 2007 04:12 PM:

Medical science has long been saying that there's no connection between getting chilled and catching a cold; I myself have never believed what medical science has to say about this.

dieter said on January 16, 2007 09:11 AM:

I once read an article about an MD who actually claims there *is* a connection between chills and cold. His argument roughly sums up as follows: The viruses are always around and your body keeps fighting them. Chills weaken your body such that the virus can spread and cause a cold.

Jann said on January 16, 2007 02:29 PM:

That's a theory, dieter, and one that I happen to believe. But whenever actually studies have been done about this, e.g., with one group getting chilled and being exposed to people with colds, and another group being exposed to the people with colds but not getting chilled, it always turns out that the number of people becoming ill with the virus is the same in each group, or the difference not stastically significant. But I still think there's a connection, i.e., the studies are flawed, or this is just the kind of thing that can't be proved with studies.

Maryam in Marrakesh said on January 16, 2007 04:02 PM:

I know that man - he is my husband. Can you pls tell him to come home for lunch?

Lucid said on January 16, 2007 05:15 PM:

Right. That's why in all three languages I speak there is an implicit connection (catch a cold/ sich verkühlen / prehladiti se)
;-)

Jann said on January 16, 2007 07:11 PM:

Seems we all agree then. My grandmother would be pleased.

btw: that word in the third line from the bottom in my last comment is supposed to be statistically.