December 07, 2006

Egg

Today, I accidentally cooked an egg for no less than 35 minutes. I am currently pondering whether I should open it just to see what it looks like on the inside (somebody once told me that yolks turn all black), or whether I should just throw it away aithout any further ado.

Posted by Horst on December 7, 2006 06:21 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Andreas Fuchs said on December 8, 2006 08:20 PM:

You're a jour^H^H^H^Hblogger. It is your moral duty to open it and post pictures on the web.

dd said on December 8, 2006 08:41 PM:

when my mother made hard boiled eggs, she always cooked them too long. the outside of the yolk first turns green, then grey, then black. it takes a long time for the yolk to turn completely black, tough. the taste is not really affected that badly, it just gets very dry after a while. still, cut into slices and put upon a piece of buttered toast, or turned into egg spread this is still perfectly edible. or you could do like my mother and mix the yolk with tons of mayonaise and black kaviar-ersatz, put the micture back into the white halves and call the thing "russian egg".

ssp said on December 9, 2006 02:58 AM:

My experiences are like dd's, the eggs will start turning dark (and if they didn't turn that might just be at their bottom where it is hottest.

I was told that in some Middle Eastern countries, eggs are sometimes left cooking (or put in heat) over night, so they turn entirely dark.

Horst said on December 9, 2006 05:57 PM:

So _now_ you tell me about my moral duties... sorry, I had already thrown the egg away...

Jann said on December 9, 2006 08:49 PM:

I always cook my hard boiled eggs at least 15 minutes because I don't like undercooked yolks. This 35 minute egg would have suited me just fine. I would have mashed it up with some mayonaise and chili powder, and had it on buttered rye toast. Yummy.

BTW, I received my books yesterday,(December 8), am reading "Messages" now and having a hard time putting it down!

Horst said on December 10, 2006 01:40 AM:

I was going for ten minutes with that particular egg, but, well, things went wrong. 15-minute eggs make me a bit uncomfortable. The 35-minute egg made me afraid I might discover something similar to what Arn finds in the basement of the Ambani Museum in one of the later chapters of "Messages".

I hope you enjoy "Messages". I think it starts a bit slow, but things speed up considerably around the time when Arn has contacted Reuss from Neuss. Let me know what you think when you're done.