December 04, 2006

Plectrum

Possibly Ira Kaplan's plectrum

There are objects that are worth something, and there are objects that are worthless. And then there are objects that could be worth something, at least to you, but you just don't have a clue if they are or not.

For example, for the past few weeks the object pictured above has been in my possession. It's a guitar plectrum. It's kind of possible that it's Ira Kaplan's guitar plectrum, but as I don't own a CSI kit that can do DNA analysis, I have no idea whether it is or not.

Clues: I A friend found this plectrum after the Yo La Tengo concert in Brussels, at the venue, about 10 feet from the merchandise stand to which Ira Kaplan had returned after playing one of the noisiest (and most exhilarating) gigs that I have ever been to.

Of course, considering that several other bands also played that evening, the plectrum might also have belonged to Edith Frost or any band member of Sukilove, Espers, or Midlake. Considering how many people there were in the audience, it could of course also be some audience member's plectrum.

Funny though: if I knew it was Ira Kaplan's plectrum, it would be valuable to me. If it was anybody else's plectrum, I wouldn't care much. As it is, I'll probably put it into one of those CSI-issue sealable little plastic bags, file it as "possibly Ira Kaplan's plectrum" and keep it as an item of questionable value.

Which is probably weird to some people, but fine by me.

Hear Ira Kaplan play on Yo La Tengo's "Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind".

Posted by Horst on December 4, 2006 06:18 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Lucid said on December 4, 2006 07:08 PM:

A case of lack of faith...

pinkNgreen said on December 4, 2006 08:34 PM:

It was ME who found it!! You were not even looking in that direction. (One of the benefits of being tiny) You should dedicate this article to me.

dieter said on December 5, 2006 10:28 AM:

So this was the article that temporarily got lost under the influence of a glass of Bombay Saphire?

Not that you would have to care, but filing the plector as you described feels OK with me, too.

Edith Frost said on December 5, 2006 10:41 AM:

It wasn't mine, just to rule that out. I don't play with a pick. :-)

Horst said on December 5, 2006 02:22 PM:

Lucid: not at all, or I wouldn't have taken it in the first place.

pink: You are right of course. However, I'm afraid I don't do dedications with weblog articles.

dieter: Not sure. I can't seem to remember what I wanted to write about, but I know I've wanted to write about that guitar pick for a while.

Edith: Forgive me for being slightly spooked that you should have found and read my weblog, but thanks for the note and for what I felt was a very sincere and immediate performance at that gig.