November 27, 2006

Rabbit

Giant white rabbit

One of the things I like about modern art is its constant potential for surprise. A few years ago, I was confronted with a 6ft rat. Yesterday, it was a giant rabbit. And live gherkins.

Live gherkins

The exhibition "Emerging Artists Switzerland" is on until 25 February 2007 at the Sammlung Essl.

Posted by Horst on November 27, 2006 01:18 PM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend
Comments
mig said on November 28, 2006 12:34 PM:

Coincidentally, a few years ago, I was confronted by a one-foot rat, but it jumped six feet straight up when I tried to shoo it out of my vacation bungalow with a push broom in the middle of the night, which also surprised me.

Jann said on November 28, 2006 03:30 PM:

I have a stuffed rabbit that, with the exception of droopy ears, looks exactly like the one in this picture. Mine is 27 cm long, and could be a made to scale model. I bought it about twelve years ago in a small shop that sold only environmentally safe, earth-friendly items, which was part of its appeal. I'm not usually enamored of stuffed rabbits, but I found this one too neat to resist. It lives on the back of the upholstered chair in my living room.

Horst said on November 28, 2006 06:37 PM:

Personally, I found the gherkins funnier than the rabbit. And also slightly less intimidating. But then I suppose nobody keeps a 27cm stuffed gherkin on their sofa.

Jann said on November 28, 2006 07:57 PM:

I should say not! But then again, there's no accounting for some people's taste.

dieter said on November 29, 2006 09:17 AM:

I can only judge from these pictures, but I agree with Horst on the gherkins. I am still at odds with a concept of art that merely plays with size. A cute little rabbit gains monster size. So what? The gherkins are a different story altogether.

Writing this, I tried to verbalize "gherkins" in my head and was immediately reminded of that old Vitásek sketch. Everybody laughed about his attempt to pronounce the Viennese "Gurkerl" as if it were an English word. However, he wasn't far off track at all...

Jann said on November 29, 2006 03:07 PM:

I agree that the live gherkins work better as an art concept. A stuffed gherkin, while not a good idea as a couch ornament, might work as a conversation piece. Nurses, in particular, would have lots to say about it.