November 19, 2006

Concert

I went to the strangest concert ever.

They said that the first act would start at 5:45, and when I entered at 5:46, they had already started. They said that the main act would start at 8:00, and they did.

Even though I was crammed in a big hall with hundreds of other people, my t-shirt wasn't soaked with sweat afterwards. That's because they had some clever air conditioning that seemed to always kick in at exactly the right temperature.

I could still wear the shirt that I wore to the concert if I wanted to, because it doesn't smell of cigarette smoke at all. That's because there was a total smoking ban in the entire venue, for the entire evening.

It should be obvious by now that the concert did not take place in Vienna.

Funny enough, even though it was one of the loudest concerts I've ever been to, my ears aren't ringing, and I don't feel particularly deaf. I wonder if that could also be connected with the fact that the concert didn't take place in Vienna. It's unlikely, but then I can't think of another reason that would make sense.

Posted by Horst on November 19, 2006 11:04 AM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend
Comments
holly said on November 19, 2006 08:00 PM:

you didn't mention whether you actually enjoyed this concert or not (i'm assuming that you're being deliberately cryptic about where it took place). your experience reminds me of a concert that i attended during the last week of the legendary CBGB's in new york, which recently closed house. there i was also struck not only by the politeness of the audience and the total lack of cigarette smoke (the noise level however was appropriately hearing impairing, some things die hard), but also by the fact that these qualities seemed blatantly incongruous with the legendarily insubordinate surroundings. i concluded that the experience was a little sad, that a scruffy place like CBGB's could not exist without plenty of noise, smoke, and raucous revelling. they lump together sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll for a reason--and that's why CBGB's could no longer exist. it's the end of an era, but i mourn this era. of course, i have no idea if the concert in question was "rock'n'roll". . .

dieter said on November 20, 2006 09:06 AM:

I was thinking along about the same lines as holly. Experiencing a rock concert (I am assuming that it was rock music in a wider sense) with perfect timing, sound and air conditioning is quite a pleasant idea, and being a non smoker I would also welcome any event of this kind where smoking is banned. But can this still be fun?

The Cartoonist said on November 21, 2006 01:17 PM:

You went to a gig somewhere in Switzerland then?

Jann said on November 22, 2006 02:56 PM:

My experience with second-hand smoke is that breathing large amounts over a period of several hours can exacerbate other unpleasant sensations or symptoms. I wonder if the total absence of this noxious agent allowed you to feel so much better than would otherwise have been the case, that you didn't notice any adverse effect on your ears, whether or not there was one.

Jann said on November 23, 2006 02:43 AM:

Off the subject a little, but I don't think you'll mind: I just noticed that both of your (new) books are now available, and I ordered a copy of each from Amazon.de.

dieter said on November 23, 2006 09:39 AM:

@ Jann: I would like to take the opportunity to confirm my order for personal delivery ;-)