November 14, 2006

Found

Two minutes after my duty at the reference desk had started, a colleague phoned and asked me if by any chance the student ID of a certain Mr X had been found and deposited there. I checked the lost & found box, and there was an ID in it, but unfortunately it wasn't Mr X's, it belonged to a Ms Y.

An hour or so later, a female student came to the desk and asked me if I could look up her library ID number in the computer because she had left her card at home and needed the number to order a book. I asked her for some other identification so I could look it up. The name on it seemed very familiar; so familiar in fact that I went back to the lost & found box, just to check. She was Ms Y alright.

I said to the student, "Are you sure that you left your ID at home?"

She said she was.

I said I wouldn't be so sure about it.

Posted by Horst on November 14, 2006 07:50 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Jann said on November 16, 2006 02:56 PM:

I notice that this story is now a little different than when it first appeared. If my memory serves me, you've added the last sentence in the second paragraph, also, I believe, the last two lines in the story. The first version left little doubt that the young lady in question was Ms Y.

Are you making a point about writing here, e.g.,how much information to include, or is there some larger issue that I'm totally missing? Or am I mistaken in my belief that the story was a little different when first posted?

dieter said on November 17, 2006 11:51 AM:

Jann, be assured that your memory is correct (unless we are living the same dream, which seems both scary and unlikely).
I doubt that Horst wanted to make any point with the amendments except for trying to eliminate ambiguities, but I must say I preferred the more ambiguous version.

dieter said on November 17, 2006 11:57 AM:

At a second thought, maybe Horst actually did pursue plans of his own with the way he changed the story. Having reread the whole thing I must say, that he took most of the fun out of it.

Jann said on November 17, 2006 02:17 PM:

Dieter, after having given the matter more thought, I arrived at the same conclusion you did with your second thought.

Jann said on November 17, 2006 07:59 PM:

I'm wondering, Horst, did you decide to continue your series "The Poetry Workshop" in a different way? Your comment under "Frustration" could qualify as part five, about the right place to end the story; this could be another example of that, or something about the amount of information to include. Or am I way off the mark with this idea?

dieter said on November 20, 2006 09:29 AM:

Jann, I see another aspect involved: Reaction to critics. When critics tell you that you made a bad move, you can
a) explain why you made the move
b) follow the suggestions of the critics
c) ignore the critics

Guess what Horst is doing ;-)