November 04, 2006

November

Okay, so November is here, and as if to prove the concept, somebody lowered the outside temperature by about 15 degrees to just slightly above the freezing point, while somebody else thought it was a good idea to end Daylight Savings Time so that it's now dark pretty much the entire day, and after only four days of this abysmal routine I am beginning to feel depressed.

I have also had a fairly strong headache for two days, possibly weather-related, which isn't helping much.

The only thing I can think of doing -- rather than actual useful work on the MSc thesis that I'm supposed to be working on -- is to go out and buy things which I neither need nor really want. Which everybody else seems to be doing as the shops are crammed with people and there are even articles in the newspaper in which the Chamber of Commerce is announcing record sales this week, "possibly due to the bad weather". It's pretty sad that things have come down to this. Only I feel I'm now past the point where I still believe that a pointless purchase can still make me happy in any way, which makes the whole thing a doubly frustrating exercise. Plus, it's currently so cold and wet outside that leaving the house sounds like a really bad idea, as much as I'd want to.

Of course, I could also go on antidepressants and join the happy Prozac crowd, but the problem is that when you're not on the stuff, these people are so sickening that you wouldn't want to join them.

Posted by Horst on November 4, 2006 05:02 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend
Comments
Jann said on November 4, 2006 07:14 PM:

I find the cold air invigorating, although I did have to stop on Mariahilfer Strasse and buy a scarf to wrap around my face. The rain doesn't bother me either, as long as I have my umbrella. It's just so nice to be in Vienna instead of southern California, even if only for a week!

Lucid said on November 5, 2006 10:08 PM:

The good news though: finally in most shops you'll find the right clothes for the season!

If you need something inexpensive, try dark chocolate, vanilla tea and jasmine incense against depression.

Jann said on November 7, 2006 07:13 PM:

I can vouch for the dark chocolate!

Horst said on November 7, 2006 09:41 PM:

Pizza also helps, and rather amazingly well, too. But I think pizza is even worse weight-wise than dark chocolate.

dd said on November 7, 2006 11:10 PM:

thankfully, the cold weather and lack of sunlight mostly makes me feel grumpy rather than depressed.
and instead of trying to cover it up, I have decided to use the full extent of my grumpiness on those who deserve no better. this probably will not make my life at work any easier, but it gives me a sense of malevolent self-righteousness that can be quite liberating.
har har.

dark chocolate is dangerous. but that new brand of peruan coffee barbara brought home the other day tastes almost exactly like it, and has a similar effect. esp. when you add tons and tons and tons of sugar and cream.
however, my drug of choice when the dark season comes is upper-austrian "kochkäse". it's almost fat free but seems to produce enormous amounts of endorphines. unfortunately, it's also very hard to find in vienna...

holly said on November 10, 2006 01:24 PM:

i, too, used to turn to pizza for comfort. but that was in new york, where one can pick up a slice from any pizza joint on any corner and which one can eat semi-anonymously. i'm curious which pizza you're referring to here in vienna, because it certainly can't be the street pizza, which doesn't seem to do the trick for mood uplifting.

Horst said on November 11, 2006 11:07 AM:

There is a pizza delivery service around the corner from where I live - they have extremely decent pizza at an extremely decent takeaway price.

I agree that street pizza in Vienna is ghastly, mostly.