October 06, 2006

Error

The following image (click to enlarge) contains one error:

Musicology

Or at least I was asked to change something about it, because as it is, it was not deemed suitable for use on the VU library website.

Can you guess what's wrong with it?
(I'll post the answer as soon as ten people have posted a guess.)

Posted by Horst on October 6, 2006 01:12 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend

Comments
scotty said on October 6, 2006 01:45 PM:

I'm pretty sure I recognize all but one of them, and those are all musicians, so I'll take a wild guess and say one of the dudes depicted on the graphic is not a musician.

TH said on October 6, 2006 02:03 PM:

Well, the third from the right looks like Neil Gaiman, but I may be wrong. And anyway, it might be something compltely different. But I have no idea what.
I very much hope it's not because one of them is black.

Josh Cogliati said on October 6, 2006 02:27 PM:

Possibly it might be because there are no women on it.

pinkNgreen said on October 6, 2006 04:54 PM:

Well, Bob Dylan is still alive. But why should this be a problem?

Richard said on October 6, 2006 05:25 PM:

With only Mozart, Bach and Beethoven, the classical composers are in the minority. That's why one of the contemporary musicians have to go, probably Dylan, and be replaced by another classical composer, preferrably Austrian. My guess is they want Schubert in.

Andreas Fuchs said on October 7, 2006 12:16 AM:

I'm guessing it's your inclusion of "U-Musicians". Serious study demands a serious subject, after all.

pinkNgreen said on October 7, 2006 01:10 AM:

Ha! Could it be, that the piece of music the pictures were placed upon was written by Mozart? Maybe they wanted a picture of Mozart instead of Dylan or Bach?

dieter said on October 9, 2006 09:27 AM:

My guess is, they didn't like the use of pictures in black and white.

Jann said on October 9, 2006 08:11 PM:

I'm going to guess that they don't want a mixture of pictures and black and white and color, but they want them all to be in black and white.

laura said on October 10, 2006 04:46 AM:

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I believe that Richard has the most logical argument; therefore I am going on record for supporting his idea so that the crucial number of 10 respondants will be reached and Horst will tell us the answer.

Horst said on October 10, 2006 09:22 AM:

There are just 9 people who have responded so far, but anyway...

After having asked what the manuscript in the background is, they demanded that I use a manuscript by an composer who lived in Vienna.

dieter said on October 10, 2006 09:35 AM:

OK, then let me unveil my utter ignorance by asking: who was that piece written by?

Lucid said on October 10, 2006 10:08 PM:

You should have waited for the 10th guess, because that was exactly what I wanted to say :-P

I wonder though they had to ask you, since it is obvious that this couldn't have been written in Vienna! I also miss the portrait of a Reinhard Fendrich or any other important Viennese contemporary musician...

Ricardipus said on October 12, 2006 03:26 PM:

...and there I was, thinking it was because Bob Dylan isn't really a musician.

Silly me.

[hello, visiting from Zoe's place]

Horst said on October 12, 2006 07:04 PM:

The original background picture was a Bach manuscript. After pondering the possible malicious effects various manuscripts might have, I replaced it with one by Beethoven.

dieter said on October 13, 2006 09:31 AM:

@Ricardipus: How dare you...
@Horst: Not Mozart? I am surprised. But as the topic to be chosen is Vienna, I am really curious to learn about the malicious effects of manuscripts by representatives of the Wiener Schule.

Horst said on October 13, 2006 09:37 AM:

Schönberg, Berg and Webern were on their list of acceptable composers.