September 20, 2006

Season

At some point in the past, I noticed how computer magazines always seem to be published one month in advance. Like the October issue is published on the 3rd of September.

Last week I wanted to buy a jacket for the current weather, which is not really so warm that you can go out in the evening without a jacket, but warm enough that you'd really feel hot in anything tht's not really thin.

It turns out that it's not just impossible to buy this month's computer magazine, it's also impossible to buy a jacket which is adequate for the current weather. All they sell now,in mid-September, is thick, warm winter jackets for temperatures below zero. The shop assistant told me that if I wanted a thin jacket I should have come in July. I told her that in July it had been so hot that I certainly hadn't needed any jacket.

Which reminded me that I wanted to buy sandals during the summer last year and was told I should have come and bought them in March or April, because now they were stocking the sturdy shoes for the wet autumn weather.

It doesn't seem to make any sense. It just doesn't.

Something that makes sense, even though it is really unrelated: yesterday, I received notice that a friend of mine had died a few days ago. Let me assure you that now is the perfect season to stop smoking.

Posted by Horst on September 20, 2006 08:36 AM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend

Comments
Andreas Fuchs said on September 20, 2006 04:24 PM:

To get thin jackets, I think springtime should work, too. If you need one /now/, sports stores might have something throughout the year - think running and other light gear.

Also, 100% agreed on the smoking part. I would like to add that this (and the previous one, really) is also the perfect century to not enter mine shafts without any air filtration gear. /-:

Jann said on September 21, 2006 02:27 AM:

It is not fun to try on a fall jacket over a sleeveless blouse in July, with the saleslady saying "I think you need a smaller size, honey", and me saying, "No I don't need a smaller size, because this jacket has to fit over a long sleeved blouse and a blazer, and I still have to be able to move my arms". I agree, it doesn't make sense.

Condolences on the death of your friend. I haven't smoked in twenty years, and I and a couple of my friends, who also stopped smoking, found that quitting wasn't all that hard, once we set our minds to it.

nora said on September 21, 2006 06:36 AM:

i miss him and hope he is with charlie parker now ...

dieter said on September 22, 2006 10:24 AM:

I managed to buy perfect sandals in August! The trick is to go to off-season shops when you need something for the season. Still doesn't make sense, the choice is poor, and I don't know any good off-season shop for clothes around. The sole consolation is: once you do find something to your needs it is most certainly on sale.

Sorry about your friend. Were you on smoking again, lately?

Horst said on September 22, 2006 02:27 PM:

Haven't touched a cigarette in a long time. I stopped smoking in 1999 and only had two cigarettes since then, but both tasted awful and I felt no immediate need to start smoking again.

dieter said on September 25, 2006 09:20 AM:

@Horst: So you're past Mark Twain. Congrats!