September 14, 2006

Rhinocéros

The e-mails I am receiving at work are getting more and more absurd every day. It is now fairly obvious that an increasing number of people are losing their grip on reality. Today I reached the point where it started getting to me, and I suddenly had the profound feeling that I was caught in an absurdist play, one that was too laughable to even take it seriously. The question that posed itself was: were the people around me were turning into something like rhinoceroses, or should I simply be glad that there wasn't a tree anywhere nearby?

Posted by Horst on September 14, 2006 10:54 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend

Comments
Lucid said on September 15, 2006 07:27 PM:

After this introduction it's not fair at all not to give an example of the e-mails that make you think someone is losing grip on reality! I'd like to experience that feeling of being caught in an absurdist play. In fact, I love absurdist plays! Please please!

Horst said on September 16, 2006 08:53 AM:

I would have liked to do it but unfortunately can't, for obvious work-related reasons. After all I don't know which of my colleagues are reading this.

Josh Cogliati said on September 17, 2006 05:36 PM:

Well, could you invent an email at the same level of absuridity?

dieter said on September 18, 2006 11:16 AM:

However, the more disquieting aspect seems to me that the e-mails are obviously written by working colleages or your students and not by some (human) spam-bots...

Horst said on September 18, 2006 12:37 PM:

Spambots would be comforting (and make more sense) in comparison.