August 19, 2006

Minus

I used to sign my emails "-H" or "-Horst", always with a hyphen before the first letter. I never thought about why I did it like that, but it confused a few people.

"Is there any significance why you are putting a minus before your name?" they asked. "Is it a subconscious message that you do not feel worthy? Or that you are an inverted person?"

I didn't have an answer because I just didn't know why I did it that way. After all, if it was a subconscious thing, I certainly wouldn't know anything about it -- that's why it's called subconscious after all. I thought it was merely a convention of sorts to start lines of text like that, but that didn't really explain why I did it in emails, but not in conventional documents.

A few weeks ago I suddely noticed that I no longer put hyphens in front of my name. I noticed it merely by accident, not having paid attention to that thing at all. Out of curiosity, I went through my archive of sent emails, and noticed that I had stopped using the hyphen about eight months ago.

Does that mean that I now feel worthy of whatever? Or that I am no longer inverted? I don't have the slightest idea.

Posted by Horst on August 19, 2006 07:16 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend

Comments
Jann said on August 21, 2006 06:00 AM:

As many people are in the habit of putting a dash before their signature in informal handwritten notes, I would consider this former habit of yours to be another manifestation of this phenomenon; in other words, a totally benign habit, without psychological implications.

Monika said on August 21, 2006 10:37 AM:

I once had a pen pal who always put three or four dots on his i. Maybe I should ask a graphologist what that means... Fact is that he was obsessed with ballerina shoes, but I don't know if that corresponds with his multiple i-dots.

lucid said on August 22, 2006 03:22 PM:

According to my archives you stopped already a year ago, after August 2005... Not that I ever noticed it :-)

Horst said on August 22, 2006 04:12 PM:

This is weird. I wonder what happened in August 2005.