July 20, 2006

Inside Body Shop

What the shop assistant thought I was looking for: her.
What I was looking for: the men's toiletries shelf.
What I found: a shop assistant blocking the way to the men's toiletries shelf and redirecting me somewhere else.

What the shop assistant wanted this to be like: lucrative.
What I wanted it to be like: quick and easy.
What it was like: fairly quick, not so easy.

Amount of time the shop assistant thought I had at my disposal: at least 30 minutes.
Amount of time I wanted to spend on this: no more than 1 minute.
Amount of time I spent on this: about 4 minutes.

Expression on shop assistant's face when she held a bottle of tangerine-scented shower gel under my nose: delight.
Expression I wanted to put on my face while sniffing tangerine-scented shower gel: polite decline.
Expression I put on my face when smell of tangerine-scented shower gel hit my nose: disgust.

How the show assistant came across: pushy.
How I wanted to come across: coolly detached, sarcastic.
How I likely came across: insulting.

What the shop assistant wanted to sell me: everything in her shop.
What I wanted to buy: one specific kind of shower gel and shaving cream.
What I bought: that specific shower gel and shaving cream.

What the shop assistant said: "Do you also need a shaving brush?"
What I wanted to say: "Why thank you for thinking I'm so young that I just started shaving."
What I said: "No, I've been shaving for a while now."

Posted by Horst on July 20, 2006 12:23 AM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend

Comments
Juha Haataja said on July 20, 2006 11:14 AM:

Nice story, looking at life from a descriptive perspective.

Jann said on July 21, 2006 02:55 AM:

So to sum up, you got the products you wanted, avoided buying the tangerine gel, may or may not have (inadvertently) insulted the overzealous sales associate, and managed to get a backhanded compliment in the process? Not bad for four minutes! Want to hear about my latest excursion into the ladies' cosmetics department? (I didn't think so).

mig said on July 21, 2006 05:34 PM:

Coincidentally, much of me still smells like the BS Orchid Blossom body lotion, because I tried to smell the sample by gently squeezing out the bit of scented air that comes out an instant before the product itself, as I had done earlier this afternoon with other scents when visiting guests and my daughter and I took refuge from the heat in the airconditioned Mariahilferstr. BS, such as Irish Coffee (which my daughter warned me not to let come in contact with my skin as it takes days to go away) except in this bottle there was no scented air, only lotion, with the result that I squirted a good 20cc up my nose and onto my hands.

dieter said on July 22, 2006 03:50 PM:

I love the story. And the style. It is SO easy to picture the whole story. Feels as if I was there.

I have read a lot of good about Body Shop - promoting a more realistic body picture, having more concern for sustainability and all that stuff, but for some reason I never cared to enter one.
Having read this, I will very probably go on buying the few cosmetics I do use in those super market style drugstores. There you can stay and look lost for hours before anybody disturbs you...

Horst said on July 22, 2006 03:58 PM:

Actually, their shaving cream and shower gel are by far the best on the market. I really like their products (except the strongly scented ones), I am just easily annoyed by obtrusive personnel.

Jann said on July 22, 2006 05:09 PM:

I was in a patient's house about twelve years ago and she had the most wonderful smelling raspberry soap, it perfumed her whole bathroom and smelled like real raspberries. I didn't ask the lady about it as she was elderly, confused, and I didn't know her well, but I did spend the next year or so going into every store that sold that type of product looking for it, but without success. I've just looked online and it seems the Body Shop doesn't carry this either. Oh, well.

mrh said on July 22, 2006 05:19 PM:

Ahh. "Body Shop" from L'Oreal. I for one mourn the loss of the quite excellent Seaweed shampoo (out of stock), which has been replaced by the lesser honey, olive and mint variants that make my hair go all brittle and unmanageable. Shame on you, Body Shop! Otherwise I shall say that the most obnoxious staff is present at the shop on Mariahilferstrasse, but maybe that is just because the shop is rather small and "collisions" with the personnel are unavoidable indeed. :-)