July 14, 2006

Observations

1. The newer or the more recently refurbished a given McDonald's restaurant is, the lower they mounted the urinals in the male toilets. I can only speculate about the reasons for this, but my safest guiess is that their target customers are getting younger and younger. I wouldn't be surprised if they converted the restaurants into kindergardens any time soon. They sure look more like kindergardens every time I enter one of them.

2. I wonder how actors feel about the characters they are playing. Do they miss them once the play closes or the film is in the box? I spent only a couple of days getting into the skin of Dr Cosma, but I miss him somehow now. Is that normal or is it a sign of beginning schizophrenia? Are there more schizophreniacs among actors than among librarians?

3. Ukuleles are obviously made for people with tiny, tiny fingers. How is a person with hands my size supposed to play a B major chord on one of these things? It's just not possible. A C major chord is just about doable, but even an A major chord, which is quite easy in theory, is near impossible in practice. Do Hawaiians have tinier hands than people from other countries? Or did they embrace the steel guitar so enthusiastically because they were also having enough of the hand cramps?

4. EVCO rules. Thanks & congrats to Mig for pulling this off (and for paying our bills at the closing event).

Posted by Horst on July 14, 2006 09:49 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend

Comments
Jann said on July 15, 2006 10:46 PM:

2) The librarians I have known personally have been among the sanest, most stable and dependable people ever. I'm not so sure about actors.

nora said on July 16, 2006 05:58 AM:

in the last five years, i've been a nun, a milkmaid, a gossip, a chef, a stripper and a pirate. i missed being a pirate the longest, although i enjoyed the stripper most.
as for the ukulele, look at bradda iz, and don't worry about the size of your hands. you're the second guy i know in vienna with a uke. aloha!

mig said on July 16, 2006 06:45 AM:

Thanks so much Horst, Dr. Cosma was a huge success, according to my sources. Sorry I wasn't more talkative at the closing event, but I was a bit worn out from chasing the subjects around the course.

novala said on July 16, 2006 03:48 PM:

I understand what you mean - I miss my new job as EVCO Call Center Operator already.

dieter said on July 18, 2006 09:29 AM:

I hate it when I get the impression that I missed a great event.

laura said on July 19, 2006 06:17 AM:

Learning a new instrument is cool! Forget the size of your hands.