June 10, 2006

Fun

My idea of fun during this time when everybody is talking about the Soccer World Cup and watching soccer matches, is to invent new kinds of sports that are not in any way even remotely related to soccer.

For example, Radishball. It's a hockey-like game involving eleven small radishes and one human with a broomstick. The objective of the game is for the human to use the broomstick to get the radishes out from under the dishwasher (where they ended up after he accidentally dropped them) and to avoid hitting them in such a way that they disappear even further under the kitchen cupboards.

A typical game of Radishball takes about 7 minutes; or up to 14 if the human accidentally drops some of the radishes yet again once he has retrieved them.

If the radishes remain under the dishwasher, they win and the human loses. If the human manages to retrieve all the radishes, he wins and they lose. If the radishes remain under the dishwasher for so long that they are beginning to rot, both the human and the radishes lose and the germs win.

Posted by Horst on June 10, 2006 11:54 PM to my so-called life | Tell-a-friend

Comments
dd said on June 11, 2006 05:11 AM:

I sometimes play that with eggs.
thatīs especially exciting because right after the game has begun, you must decide whether to use the broom or the napkins.

richard said on June 11, 2006 11:05 AM:

Haha, that sounds like a whole lot of fun to me. I like the game of onion-skin throwing, where the objective is to get as much of the onion-skin into the trash in one go. Onion-skin most of the time wins, and I have to crawl on the floor next to the trash to pick it up.

Jann said on June 13, 2006 02:12 AM:

Wasn't there a game called "fireball" they used to play on "Friends" which involved the use of oven mitts and fire extinguishers? Seems I remember something like that.

nora said on June 13, 2006 09:07 PM:

we used to kick dropped icecubes under the fridge. now there is a toekick, but we're still kicking the icecubes. the splatter patterns vary according to what kinds of shoes you're wearing, size of icecube, room temperature ... fun.

laura g brown said on June 14, 2006 05:05 AM:

How about retrieving socks between the washer & dryer? Is there anyone who doesn't have a space between those two that's a perfect black hole for socks?

Horst said on June 14, 2006 09:00 AM:

Most people in Austria don't have dryers. They're considered a waste of money and energy. My socks disappear in other, so far unidentifed places.