June 11, 2006

Source

If you find yourself referenced on a strange blog such as this, this, or this, then you know that you are either in the company of autistic dadabloggers, or this is why the trackback spammers just won't leave you alone.

Posted by Horst on June 11, 2006 10:34 AM to metablogging | Tell-a-friend

Comments
The Cartoonist said on June 11, 2006 04:14 PM:

Oh my - this is terrible. I really thought those spam blogs are just an urban legend...

dieter said on June 12, 2006 10:01 AM:

Sorry, I somewhat deliberately decided to remain as ignorant as possible when it comes to blogging. Therefore my question: What's the point of such spam blogs? Trying to pop up as often as possible on all kinds of search bots or what?

Horst said on June 12, 2006 11:22 AM:

I think those I referenced here exist (a) to store addresses of blogs that can be spammed, (b) because it helps to have an actual blog to send trackback pings from, and (c) because people won't put the domain "blogspot.com" on their blacklists (this would lock out all Blogger blogs, of which there are hundreds of thousands).

There are also other, more obvious spamblogs whose entries consist of nothing but advertisements for the product they want to sell. Very tedious.

The Cartoonist said on June 13, 2006 07:17 AM:

Ah, that's why:
Unbelievable.

dieter said on June 13, 2006 09:22 AM:

@The Cartoonist. Looks like a good idea to identify blogs created by Blog Solution and ban them. If I wanted to create a non commercial blog, I would find the ad extremely deterring.

Horst said on June 13, 2006 10:51 AM:

Actually, it looks like the sites I found were created with Auto Blog Generator ("creates more blogs faster than Blogger can delete them"), BloggerGenerator or FastBloggerGenerator. There are several products out there to generate stuff like this. Do a Google search for "Splog" to find out more.

The Cartoonist said on June 13, 2006 11:11 PM:

I think I want 'Auto Blog Generator' or 'blogsolution' for Xmas, and then become quickly rich and famous. Or infamous.
Honestly - this is just ... unbelievable. Unbelievable. I'm speechless.

Horst said on June 14, 2006 12:24 AM:

And 10 to 20 percent of all blogs are already splogs, says http://tinyurl.com/hhvxw