February 21, 2006

Blütwurst

If you went to a restaurant that had "Blütwurst" on the menu and you felt like eating some, would you pronounce it that way when ordering it or would you pronounce it correctly?

I somehow have the feeling that it says a lot about a person whether s/he chooses to say "Blütwurst" or "Blutwurst", though I'm not sure exactly what it says. Probably something about their sense of humour and how they are enjoying themselves. Probably that those who say "Blütwurst" are fun-loving individuals, whereas those who say "Blutwurst" only prove that they are

• unimaginative
  • boring
  • normal
  • pedantic
  • pernickety
  • anal-retentive
  • teachers

or all of the above.

I couldn't bring myself to say "Blütwurst" today, no matter how much I tried and how much I wanted to. I am pathetic.

Posted by Horst on February 21, 2006 12:18 PM to the land of Potz | Tell-a-friend

Comments
Richard said on February 21, 2006 04:22 PM:

Actually, I think I'd have said "Blutwurst" as well. Maybe it's because I wouldn't want them to think I was making fun of them by pronouncing it "Blütwurst", because I guess that whoever wrote "Blütwurst" actually thought that it's the right way to spell "Blutwurst". If you know what I mean.

PS: I'm posting under that name in order to reflect the changes you've made to your linkroll.

dd said on February 21, 2006 06:52 PM:

nonsense. those who say "blütwurst" are obnoxious nit-pickers who don´t realize when a joke is appropriate and when it is not.

your list of characteristics, on the other hand, reminds me a lot of the sort of woman who, instead of realizing how beautiful she is, will tell you at lenght that her bottom is too big.
:-)

dieter said on February 22, 2006 12:15 PM:

@ your list: we are all pathetic from time to time (OK, that was on the list but in the summary ;-), but I think, it is rather incouraging that "normal" is one of the entries.

lucid said on February 22, 2006 07:38 PM:

Blütwurst is only the turkish word for Blutwurst, being reintroduced to Turkey by the Turks living in Germany (who also invented "Kebab") and is pronounced as [*blüt:würst*]. Since Austrians are the only people trying to pronounce everything as in its original language, it is only "normal" not to do so.

monochromer said on February 24, 2006 03:56 PM:

Blut = blood
blüht = blooming
Wurst= sausage

Blutwurst = sausage of animal blood
Blühwurst = something with flowers