February 14, 2006

Speaking of which...

Having mentioned "obscure Chet Baker records" yesterday, the one I linked to may have a goofy, unprofessional cover picture, but it's actually quite good. Very good, to be precise. However, in terms of buying records that really make very little sense, I am currently trying to figure out if I should really buy the reissue of what is generally considered to be Chet Baker's worst record, and from the sound clips that I've heard, it's really abysmally bad.

I've had it on order from Amazon for a while now, and more than once have I considered cancelling the item from my order. However, for some reason I never hit that "Cancel" button, much as I thought I ought to, so it's still in my order, it's become available now, and if I don't cancel it soon, it may be in the mail any day.

Arguments against cancelling: it might be interesting, for purely documentary reasons, to own the worst thing that Baker has ever recorded, if only to demonstrate it to people who might be interested how low he sunk at one point. Also, it's only €7, and I've bought pretty awful records for more than that.

Arguments for cancelling: the CD is bad. It's really bad. I am not going to listen to it very often. In fact, I may not listen to it more often than once. And €7 is the equivalent of two delicious portions of Dim Sum at Happy Buddha. Which are most likely much more satisfying than this CD.

It's painful enough to be a shopping addict, but there's this truly spooky feeling of uneasiness once you start buying stuff that's not just useless, but that you know you aren't going to like.

Posted by Horst on February 14, 2006 10:35 AM to books & bookkeeping | Tell-a-friend

Comments
steve said on February 15, 2006 02:59 AM:

I recommend you pass on this CD. To quote the All Music Guide (link removed as I'm not quite sure if you would consider it commercial content) "... his discography is extensive and wildly uneven." This album is on the bottom.

Try Eva Cassidy if you haven't heard her. Reviews on Amazon.de and elsewhere. Songbird at 17. If you don't like this album, well, that was 4 servings of Dim Sum.

dieter said on February 15, 2006 09:18 AM:

@Horst: ... which reminds me, that I wanted to buy the latest Asterix - strictly for documentary reasons.

Horst said on February 15, 2006 09:37 AM:

I stopped buying Asterix at volume 30. I decided that there was no documentary value in it any longer.

As for that Chet Baker record, I have this inexplicable urge to own his worst record along with his best ones. And it's not the price -- the Saturn store is currently selling 'Chet Baker with Fifty Italian Strings' for €5, another pretty awful record of his (more due to the production; he still had his teeth at the time and played well, but the strings are just overpowering), but I feel no urge whatsoever to buy it.

It must be some morbid fascination with the low point of a great trumpet player. Mind you, he recorded his best albums _after_ this one.

dd said on February 15, 2006 01:37 PM:

I think you need it.

but then again, this comes from somebody who owns "take no prisoners", "never let me down", "carribean sunset" and "party".

laura g brown said on February 15, 2006 07:13 PM:

Put it on your wishlist--then you can get two copies.

;-)