November 22, 2005

This is the Internet

And there I was, trying to find pictures of the Ancient Persians for the website of the new Oriental Studies library, and did an image search on the Internet, hoping to find something that I might be able to use in some way. The results were not exactly what I wanted, even though they were, in retrospect, kind of predictable.

Here is what I found on Google.
Even more interesting, this is what AllTheWeb had to offer.

This is the Internet for you.

Posted by Horst on November 22, 2005 09:33 AM to the body electric | Tell-a-friend

Comments
dieter said on November 24, 2005 11:56 AM:

You have to admit that the search term was not exactly precise if you want to find pictures of ancient Persia. And Alta Vista at least featured a persian wedding, even if it was not ancient ;-)

Horst said on November 24, 2005 03:58 PM:

You are beside the point, which was _not_ about the correct search terms for the Persians. Still, out of interest, if you had been searching for the Persians on a search engine, what would your first search query in German have been?

dieter said on November 24, 2005 11:06 PM:

I suppose, your point was that cats and barely clothed women are - alas - much more present in the net than valuable information. And I agree, which does not, however keep me from teasing you a little.

Néanmoins, my first association with "Perser" is cats, so google would work for me. When trying to find something on Ancient Persia, my first Guess was Xerxes and the second Persien - little difference, big effect. I tryed myself...

dieter said on November 25, 2005 09:07 AM:

By the way. I don't know if they care. Still, I am sorry that I misread AllTheWeb for Alta Vista. Ashes on my head.
After all, they do not show any models on the first page. They offer not only cats but also a horse and a quite curious link to Elfriede Jelinek's homepage. Guess which one...

Again, sorry Alta Vista.

Horst said on November 25, 2005 03:00 PM:

Elfriede Jelinek? Which one?

dieter said on November 25, 2005 10:53 PM:

Sorry, my mistake, she was so prominent on that page that I mistakenly regarded it as hers. Now I saw that she is a further click away...
When you click on the figurines between the white horse and olav, you end up with a horrible bambi and quite a few link to Elfriede Jelinek.

Something quite different. I so much concentrated on the things that were on the search results that I forgot to point out the most surprising absence: no carpets!

mig said on November 29, 2005 08:40 AM:

Which Elfriede Jelinek? There's more than one?

Ingmar Greil said on November 29, 2005 12:08 PM:

Why search in German in the first place? Searching for "persians" brings significantly better results.