October 18, 2005

The Wait

Still no word from either of the publishers that I contacted about my short story collection. I wonder whether they do actually send rejection letters (or e-mails) these days when they're not interested. Like a couple of years ago, employers used to send you a rejection letter if you applied for a job and didn't get it. These days, hardly anyone writes back to say they don't want you.

I wonder how long I should wait before either contacting them again or trying somewhere else. An awful lot of time just seems to be wasted doing nothing.

In the meantime I wanted to submit one of the stories in a competition, but it seems that most competitions require you to pay money before you can actually submit something. Looks like a big rip-off to me.

Posted by Horst on October 18, 2005 07:47 PM to books & bookkeeping | Tell-a-friend

Comments
tuesday said on October 20, 2005 07:35 PM:

try any publisher you'd like to be published. now. not one after the other. unless you want to wait for years.

laura said on October 24, 2005 05:44 AM:

I agree with tuesday. Enter contests, too, especially free ones. Or publish in an online journal. Congrats for finishing, btw.

quick said on October 24, 2005 09:30 AM:

I agree too. Send to as many as you can at the same time. Also, did you include a stamped, self addressed envelope? In the past I have made it really easy for them by writing the rejection/acceptance bit myself, with multiple choices for the dergree of harshness of the rejection or praise for the acceptance.

dieter said on October 25, 2005 09:11 AM:

quick, that sounds like an interesting marketing idea at the first place. However, as it is with marketing ideas, it only works for the early adopters. When everey writer follows suit, it will only turn the lecturers 'lazier' than they already are.

quick said on October 25, 2005 12:05 PM:

If you include postage, they are morally obliged to send something back to you.

I just remembered another time when one of Australia's most respected poets rejected a story of mine (he's the literary editor of the mag) with detailed feedback, I sent it straight back and explained that he was wrong and that I would like it very much if he would think about reconsidering. He didn't reconsider. He did think it was a funny thing to do, and he accepted my next submission.

Just thought I'd share that, for what it's worth.

How long has The Wait been?

laura said on October 26, 2005 08:25 PM:

I have been appreciating horst's quirky writing and observational bon mots for quite a while now, and I do believe there's a market out there for this kind of talent. I think one problem is that the solitary nature of writing requires a personality juxtaposed to the "marketing" type Fromm describes. A literary agent might be a good idea for someone who's a proven author.