July 31, 2005

Count the diamonds

Like Adalbert, I recently got stuck on that stupid sports quiz, and this time the task seemed fairly simple. They showed three playing cards that looked something like this:

playing cards

and the question was: "count all the diamonds".

Just as in the weight quiz, people phoned in giving the strangest answers, and I forced myself to watch the program until the end just to find out if the correct answer in the card quiz (worth € 15,000) would be as strange as the one in the weight quiz.

It was.

In the latest Aardvark Prize Draw, here's your chance to win something if you tell me the correct answer according to the quiz programme. Leave your name and solution (but no explanation) in the comments. One answer per person only please. If nobody gets it right, the person who comes closest gets the prize (which, by the way, is not € 15,000 — sorry).

Answer and Winner will be published on the blog on Friday.

Posted by Horst on July 31, 2005 04:54 PM to creatures great & small | Tell-a-friend

We received this ping from The Aardvark Speaks on August 5, 2005 12:21 AM:

Quiz answer: The amazing thing about this quiz is how many possible answers there are -- the cards are a 2, a 3 and a 10 of diamonds, but even knowing that, depending on how you interpret the question, it's possible that 8, 9, 15 or 27 could all be correct. However... [more]

Comments
Ulf said on July 31, 2005 07:43 PM:

Well, I stick to the visible world and therefore my answer is: »eight.« (Of course, I am perfectly aware that this is not »the correct answer according to the quiz programme«. Never mind.)

dd said on July 31, 2005 08:45 PM:

17.

laura said on July 31, 2005 08:48 PM:

My Bicycle brand playing cards show only 5 diamonds on a no. 3 card, not 7. So, it's hard to extrapolate how many diamonds are on a 2 and a King in this particular deck.

Gibarian said on July 31, 2005 08:53 PM:

If it's anything like the quizzes on ATV Plus or the late night quizzes on any other channel, then the answer is highly random. They either have these games which nobody is able to solve because only a notary and the one who devised the quiz know the answer, or extremely easy ones, which every toddler can solve. Unfortunately, during the easy ones they don't connect people into the studio, and rather wait until the very end of the programme in order to rake in enough money.

So, in the light of my aforementioned revelation, the answer is 24,9.

Horst said on July 31, 2005 10:14 PM:

It's one of the notary quizzes, obviously. How they arrived at their answer is totally beyond me, though. I suppose they must have used a special deck of cards that is unlike any of those that I have. I come pretty close, but I don't get that exact number.

Oddly enough, one person phoned in with the "correct" answer and apparently got the 15,000 euros.

dieter said on August 1, 2005 12:11 PM:

Did only one person get the chance to answer? Otherwise, having some friends guessing arount the most probable answer looks like the best option.
And didn't they show the whole cards for the spectators to check for themselves?

My guess is 19.

Horst said on August 1, 2005 12:35 PM:

People were phoning in at a rate of about one every 30-40 seconds, coming up with all kinds of answers, and they showed about as much as I'm showing you.

Ben said on August 1, 2005 02:52 PM:

Hi! First of all, I'm reading and enjoying your blog for quite some time now.
Second, those "shows" are really annoying.
At last, here's my guess: 27. According to those cards, the one in the middle is a 10 and not a king.

Ingmar said on August 1, 2005 06:05 PM:

30, but quoite posibly much more.

Adalbert said on August 1, 2005 10:36 PM:

Iīd say itīs 9, but probably itīs something completely else. A few days, I watched another program like this on a German TV station with no one calling in to win € 31.000. Yes, unbelievable.

Turns out they had about 40 lines where callers can call in. Out of these lines, one line is the lucky one to be put live on the show. As a caller, you have no control on the mechanism how lines are be selected. Minutes may go by without any caller hitting the right line - a lottery. Actually, worse than a lottery.

Gibarian said on August 1, 2005 11:06 PM:

@Adalbert: Actually, the open line thing is a total scam. Sometimes they pretend for more than half an hour that certain lines are open, but, at least on ATV Plus, the caller who is finally put through comes in right when the whole show is scheduled to be over. I mean, how big of a chance is there that for half an hour, with thousands of people calling in, nobody calls the right line, and then exactly when the show is supposed to be over, someone gets lucky?

Josh Cogliati said on August 2, 2005 03:36 AM:

Zero.

steve said on August 2, 2005 04:16 AM:

"count all the diamonds"

I have counted all the diamonds.

Keith said on August 2, 2005 05:21 PM:

Nine

dieter said on August 4, 2005 09:30 AM:

I am afraid, Ben is right about the King. But it would be too simple to follow him just like that. So, let us stick with the King theory. Could be part of a K, couldn't it?

Bart Samwel said on August 4, 2005 09:57 AM: