May 02, 2005

Printer woes (2)

The magenta ink still isn't working, even though the cartridge is new and 90% full. Then today, after some black and white printing, the black cartridge said it was empty. I replaced it with a new one. Now I can't print black either. The yellow cartridge is now down to 10% and I think I know what's going to happen when I replace it.

I'm getting a new printer. In terms of tech specs, I need something like the Epson CX5200 or CX5400. Any suggestions?

Posted by Horst on May 2, 2005 10:53 PM to the body electric | Tell-a-friend

Comments
Steve said on May 3, 2005 01:54 PM:

Don't buy Lexmark, Epson or HP. They may be relatively cheap, but only because they rip you off with expensive ink later on. Also beware of printers that need "intelligent" cartridges that try to tell you when they're empty (many simply have a page counter) and can't be refilled.

Get a Canon printer. Quite reliable and sensibly priced ink/refillable cartridges.

Or, better yet, get a laser printer for your b/w printing. Much cheaper.

Horst said on May 3, 2005 03:40 PM:

I'd have bought a Canon printer the last time, but unfortunately their multifunction units are not compatible with Mac OS X, which also rules them out this time.

The Cartoonist said on May 3, 2005 07:25 PM:

I've simply given up printing altogether. It's just not worth the hassle.

Horst said on May 4, 2005 12:05 AM:

Hmmm... apparently the Canon Pixma series _does_ support Mac OS X...

laura said on May 4, 2005 05:03 AM:

I hate to admit to schadenfreude, but if a blogmaster like Horst could have a printer problem, maybe MY printer problem isn't related to my fix-it ability (I bought a new one, too).