April 20, 2005

Pope

In case you want to know what I, as a Catholic, think about the new Pope, formerly known as Cardinal Ratzinger, now a.k.a. Benedict XVI., I'm not entirely sure.

For one, I would have been surprised if he had not become the new pope, as it has been fairly obvious that he had been working towards this for quite a while now. He is perhaps also one of the most intelligent men in the conclave, which is good for him, not bad for the Vatican, but also not necessarily good for the rest of us.

I find him a bit spooky. He reminds me of Senator/Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine of Star Wars. I'm not saying he's with the Dark Forces, it's just that I have something of an uncomfortable feeling. I particularly didn't like his first speech in which he described himself as a "simple working man". In some situations, when certain offices are concerned, certain displays of humility just don't ring true. I mean, he's elected into this office where he is second only to God, and he's seriously saying stuff like this? If he's really trying to be humble, he'd better simply shut up. History teaches us that those who display the biggest show of humility will be those who abuse their power the most.

So I guess it's a good thing that the Pope doesn't really have a lot of power these days. But then maybe I'm simply wrong. I mean I kind of knew it would be Ratzinger and I predicted in front of several witnesses that he'd call himself Benedict, but I may be totally wrong about this strange feeling. It's just a hunch.

Posted by Horst on April 20, 2005 11:38 PM to news of the world | Tell-a-friend

Comments
gibarian said on April 21, 2005 08:49 AM:

Didn't he say he's a "humble worker in the Lord's vineyard"? Now, I don't know exactly where the Lord's vineyard is, but I guess that it's not a place where just about anybody can go and pick some grapes. So in a way, his display of humility was just a rephrasing of "I'm God's darling now".

laura said on April 21, 2005 08:49 AM:

I enjoyed your potpourri of comments on this historic election. Who would have guessed you are a Catholic by looking at excerpts of Cursed?

Monika said on April 22, 2005 04:15 PM:

As far as Prof. Zulehner said during the TV broadcast, "humble worker in the Lord's vineyard" is a set phrase that clergymen use to describe themselves. I think it's an allusion to the parable of the workers in the vineyard featured in the new testament.

dieter said on April 23, 2005 12:31 AM:

As an ex-catholic and now convinced agnostic, I have high hopes concerning this pope. I really hope, he will bring the catholic church much farther into the direction where it really belongs. I am thinking of the French model, here...

Horst said on April 26, 2005 03:42 PM:

gib & Monika: I don't care really, there would have been better things to say, I suppose.

laura: Isn't it obvious?

dieter: "where it really belongs" - if you mean "further in a direction that was wrong in the first place and that will eventually lead to its disappearance", then you could have a point; if you mean "where it truly belongs", then you couldn't be more wrong.

katja said on April 27, 2005 12:15 AM:

please forgive my poor english, but these are the words i know for ratzinger: he is a pain in the ass...
the best on him seems to be his age.
on german: der hält eh nicht lange frisch.