March 18, 2005

What's all this then?

My vintage 1999 PowerMac G4 at the office refuses to accept any of the newly (2005) released Miles Davis remasters (Jack Johnson, Seven Steps, Funny Valentine, Four & More) and just spits them out after less than five seconds of trying to read them. It does accept any of the older Miles Davis CDs that I have, though. Actually, it accepted all other CDs that I fed it so far. Oddly, my (slightly newer) G4 at home accepts the new CDs without any problem at all. What is this — some kind of weird copy protection? It doesn't say anything about copy protection on the cover or label of the CDs, and I suppose if they were protected, they shouldn't play at all. Odd.

Posted by Horst on March 18, 2005 08:45 AM to the body electric | Tell-a-friend

Comments
dd said on March 18, 2005 09:22 AM:

as far as I know, the sony legacy discs are not copy protected. therefore, I suspect it to be a problem with the cd drive rather than with the os. there are vast differences between pressings from different plants - you might want to check where your new cds were manufactured. maybe the new ones were pressed in a plant that uses a different material for the reflecting layer, which may cause trouble with the laser of your old mac.

they are not hybrid sacds, are they?

maybe the easiest way to solve the problem would be to burn copies on your new mac, then play the copies on the old mac....

Horst said on March 18, 2005 10:59 AM:

No, they're not hybrids, and they all seem to be from the same plant -- Sony/DADC Austria. However, all the CDs that won't play have the code "IFPI L551" on them, whereas those that will play have a different number, like L552 or L554. I haven't found an explanation of those L numbers yet, but IFPI seems to be an organisation that's very interested in copy protection mechanisms.

Horst said on March 18, 2005 11:31 AM:

from http://lists.virus.org/isn-0311/msg00016.html:

"the IFPI number indicates the point of manufacture and the intended distribution channel"

So it's probably some manufacture issue after all.

dd said on March 18, 2005 01:53 PM:

would be interesting to try if this also happens with a different cd drive attached to the same computer...however, I suppose scientific interest is not a sufficient motivation for the expense and time.

how is the remastering of valentine & four&more? iīve been considering getting these for a long time - the take on "i thought about you" blew me away when I first heard it. do the remasters include the full condcert as it was featured on the 1992 valentine-2cd-set, or the original (heavily edited) albums?

Horst said on March 18, 2005 02:31 PM:

Unfortunately I have no way of comparing the two remastered CDs with the 1992 2CD set, but they come as separate albums that run at 63 and 54 minutes respectively, and iTunes told me that "4 & more" was actually disc 2 of the 2CD set, so track lengths of that one must be identical.

I haven't managed to listen to "Valentine" yet, but "4 & more" is just mindblowing musically, and the sound quality is amazing -- crisp, clear and vividly three-dimensional.

They also reissued "Live in Europe" (Antibes 1963), "Live in Tokyo" (1964) and "Live in Berlin" (1964) in the same batch, but I felt that buying 5 live albums from the period 1963-64 was perhaps a bit over the top, so I didn't, even though the band personnel changes radically during the covered period.

dd said on March 18, 2005 03:49 PM:

i just bought "funny valentine". wonderful. I must say that I strongly prefer this phase to the later "plugged nickel" session, which are universially hailed as the climax of davisīcareer - to me, the nickel concerts sound like a somewhat tame version of the ornet coleman quartett.
well...