March 07, 2005

Not listening

I tried to find out what the non-rightwing US weblogs have to say about the shooting of Italian intelligence officer Nicola Calipari by US troops in Iraq, but all I could find was things like "most likely the soldiers behaved appropriately" and "it's a war zone, so he should expect to be shot".

I seem to remember them being more outspoken than that. But perhaps they are thinking of this as a minor incident that is not worth digging into.

I think they are seriously underestimating just how much of a public outrage the whole thing has created in Italy. They are probably also underestimating just what it means if a substantial amount of people in Italy think that the US soldiers fired deliberately on the car (no matter if that is true or not).

By the way, the rightwing weblogs aren't writing anything about it either, but I kind of expected that.

Posted by Horst on March 7, 2005 03:18 PM to news of the world | Tell-a-friend

Comments
TH said on March 8, 2005 10:00 PM:

Not quite true. When you look at the right, you'll find that Sgrena arranged her own abduction and the shooting to make the US look bad.

LGF is questioning even that any shooting happened...

Horst said on March 9, 2005 01:33 AM:

Well, I didn't read the real nutters... of course they would write stuff like that.

Nathan said on March 9, 2005 10:20 AM:

I don't know about blogs, but many US leftists/progressives get news from Common Dreams. Here's one of their pieces on the shooting:

Nathan said on March 9, 2005 10:37 AM:

Here's another link related to the issue of America being semi-aware of America's abuses, for anyone curious to check it out. I know everyone's busy and hates to read articles on the web. It's an interview with John Perkins on his book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.

I saw another interview with him on a progressive TV program a few nights ago. He's now coming clean about some work he did in recent decades. He worked for a US company making large loans to 3rd world countries to build up their infrastructures--for example, to build dams and roads. US companies (Halliburton, Bechtel, etc.) would get the contracts, and the countries would be stuck with debts they would never be able to repay. This allows the US government to pressure and exert control on their governments.

laura said on March 10, 2005 07:47 AM:

It made the front page of the L.A. Times here; consensus was it was an accident. Mention was made of the airport road being a war zone and the car not stopping when ordered to. A suicide bomber had killed 115 people near Baghdad in the same time frame. I feel sorry for this woman who was tortured by kidnapers, then attacked by the other side. Many Americans have been against Bush's war from day 1 (OK, 25 percent, but I was one of them) and the number is growing. I considered getting a 'WAR4OIL' California license plate, but didn't want my windshield smashed.