November 02, 2004

I've had so enough of all this

It's a true shame that the USA is as large as it is, and has as much economic power and nuclear bombs as it has, because otherwise I wouldn't care about today's US presidential elections any more than about elections in some banana republic, where rigging the elections doesn't have an impact on the entire world.

Quiz 1: What do the following countries have in common: Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Serbia, Russia, Georgia, USA?

My guess for the result, by the way, is that George W. Bush will win with something like a comfortable 55% majority, simply because after I've read a few articles on US voters' attitudes, it seems to me that Americans would rather vote for somebody they know but don't like, than for somebody they like but don't know. Either these articles I read are just nonsense, and I hope they are, or the American mind works in strange ways.

Quiz 2: What do the following countries have in common: USA, Somalia, Iran, Congo?

For those who understand German, the (conservative) Austrian journalist Hans Rauscher has recently written two very sharp comments on how the Bush regime changed America: "It's not the America we knew" and "America, the prisoner of a radical sect" chronicle the USA's swing towards political and religious fundamentalism over the past few years. A brief quote translated into English:

Emissaries of the Bush government, who travel through Europe on a regular basis and seek contact with opinion leaders ... [start] fiery sermons that all follow a similar pattern: "old Europe" is dead and gone, Asia is the future, we take care of it, and why aren't you Europeans more like us, for example, why don't people in a christian country like Austria pray more often? — This would have been unthinkable four years ago.

For a more sober, meticulously researched, yet infinitely more depressing look at why today's elections are so important and at the same time also terribly irrelevant, read this and weep.

In related news:
You speak through me, God, not the other way round! Is that clear?

Posted by Horst on November 2, 2004 02:53 PM to news of the world | Tell-a-friend

Comments
scott partee said on November 3, 2004 07:54 AM:

I'm so discouraged. Basically every single amendment, measure and candidate I voted for was a loser. Even the Republican I *did* vote for ended up losing. It looks like Bush is going to get his second term, which depresses the hell out of me because I really don't understand how 50,000,000 could vote for him. At this precise moment, I really don't feel like this is *my* country.

dieter said on November 3, 2004 10:27 AM:

Todays news in Austria said - among many other things - that a majority of those US-Americans who value morality said this is a reason why they vote for George Bush. Hey, this man rigged the elections, and he lied to the whole world to start a war, and he uses his political power to help his friends make more profit. How brainwashed can the American voters be?

Michi said on February 2, 2005 04:45 PM:

Rauscher, conservative? he considers himself to be on the liberal front!

Konstantin Klein said on June 25, 2007 01:32 PM:

"...My guess for the result, by the way, is that George W. Bush will win with something like a comfortable 55% majority..."

In which case the US Constitution, specifically its 22nd Amendment, would have to be changed. Otherwise the number of terms a president is allowed to serve is limited to two.

Which leaves us with a little hope.

Horst said on June 25, 2007 04:41 PM:

Hmmm... as you know, I appreciate comments, but it seems odd to get one for a blog entry that is three years old.