July 01, 2004

Disconnected thoughts

If you don't support Greece in today's Euro 2004 semi-finals, you're an evil person. The Czech team are going to win anyway.

What does it say about contemporary film scripts when rave reviwes of Shrek 2 call the film "one of the most mature movies about adult relationships ever made"? Or what does it say about relationships in the USA?

The weather is tedious. Extremely tedious.

Update: No they didn't. Greece stood up excellently against a strong Czech team for 105 minutes and shot a totally unbelievable goal in the very last minute. Thanks for your support.

However, the Shrek mystery hasn't been solved yet, and the weather still sucks.

Posted by Horst on July 1, 2004 08:46 PM to notes from the subconscious | Tell-a-friend

Comments
Mike said on July 1, 2004 10:00 PM:

How can you say the weather is tedious here?

This morning it was bright and sunny -not a cloud in the sky - and by dinner time the heavens had opened with great fanfare and drenched to homeward bound commuters.

Dressing for this weather is risky, for sure, but "tedious"?

TH said on July 1, 2004 11:24 PM:

The Czech team are going to win anyway.

Heh. Didn't quite work that way, did it. So much about common wisdom in soccer ;)

Natalie said on July 1, 2004 11:54 PM:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Greece won, isn't it wonderful?
I love it when the unexpected happens especially when the unexpected favours the underdogs, or anyway not the top dogs. Am in expansively generous mood since I've scored a goal myself today (see Guardian Weblogs).

Horst said on July 2, 2004 12:08 AM:

I'd just like predictable weather once in a while. Or at least something that qualifies as "summer". Well, whatever.

I admit that I wrote this bit about the Czech team winning to help the Greek team win. It's an old Upper Austrian superstition.

I thought the match was pretty good. The Czech were technically better, but the discipline with which the Greek played much of the time was admirable — their only weak spot was between the 75th and the 90th minute.

I always thought Rehhagel was a pretty good coach, but what he has achieved here is more than just impressive.

Bonnie said on July 2, 2004 04:04 AM:

Considering that I'm single again and looking for a good man, I'd say that quote about Shrek 2 pretty much says it all.

Sheesh.

laura said on July 2, 2004 07:29 PM:

Who was the Shrek 2 reviewer? The Shrek series is a harmless fairy tale, and I don't think it portends to comment on actual adult relationships. Since Shrek 1 made a pile, the best writers were put on Shrek 2, and they made a clever movie rife with pop culture references.

dieter said on July 4, 2004 11:51 PM:

Maybe I am bad, but I honestly hoped, the Czech would make it. And for family reasons I did sympathize with the Protuguese too. But having seen what the Greek did to the Czech, I bet on the Greek against my whole family.