January 30, 2004

Romanticism

Recently, I was talking about a very romantic movie, which started me thinking about other movies that I felt were romantic. Consequently, in true Nick Hornby fashion, I wanted to compile two lists for this weblog — one of my top 5 romantic movie scenes and one of the top 5 scenes that always move me to tears.

Only, I can't seem to be able to think of five truly romantic scenes. A couple of online lists [1] [2] [3] I consulted only produced mostly totally unromantic movies. It seems that people's concepts of "romantic" vary highly. As I consider myself a hopeless romantic, it comes as a bit of a shock that my idea of romantic seems to be totally off the norm.

Anyway, I'm kind of stuck with just two highly romantic scenes, which is not really much of a list. And although I remember being very moved by a film recently, I can't remember which one it was. Compiling these lists seems to be more difficult than I thought. If you'd like to share your favourite romantic and moving moments on film, feel free to post a comment.

Posted by Horst on January 30, 2004 11:17 AM to reviews | Tell-a-friend

Comments
Bonnie said on January 30, 2004 02:25 PM:

Hmmm, I've always thought that scene where Lloyd holds up the boom box playing "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel in Say Anything was really romantic, and the film A Room With A View always makes me tear up at the end...

More recently, I was very moved by the relationship at the center of Lost in Translation. In some ways the fact that they never consummated the relationship made it that much more romantic when Bob gets out of the cab and finds Charlotte in the crowd. I got goose bumps watching it. The fact that you have no idea what he says to her when he finds her makes the ending.

I hate to admit this, but the end of Sleepless in Seattle, when they meet up on top of the Empire State always makes me cry too. I'm such a girl.

zach said on January 30, 2004 05:45 PM:

romantic i cannot really say, but a scene in a movie that always makes me cry is in billy elliot when he is getting ready to leave for london and he runs back in and gives his grandmother a hug, and she squeezes him tight then pushes him off on his way.

nora said on January 30, 2004 10:58 PM:

My romantic favorites: like water like chocolate; the man who cried; crossing delancey; walking and talking. definitely girl movies.

laura said on January 31, 2004 06:01 AM:

A beautifully shot (Sydney Pollack) scene in Out of Africa is Robert Redford washing Meryl Streep's hair on safari, while quoting "...Ancient Mariner." When he pours on a stream of water from a pitcher, she looks blissful and arguably phallic in the way her head and neck are shown, as the white rivulet of water that drenches the dust behind her alludes to their imminent romantic encounter.

Megan said on January 31, 2004 06:08 PM:

Hate to be a cynic, but what I remember about Out of Africa is that the Robert Redford character gave the Meryl Streep character syphilis... kind of dampens the romance for me :(.

laura said on February 1, 2004 05:10 AM:

Actually, it was Klaus Maria Brandauer's character who gave her syphillis. Robert Redford's character was still willing to sleep with her after she was "cured" with arsenic. I do think Redford was the weakest part of a fantastic movie with a glorious score, but Meryl more than made up for it.

dieter said on February 3, 2004 12:18 AM:

Well, I am horrible about romantic films, since I generally tend to finding them simply too kitschy. But Lost in Translation and My Life Without Me were really romantic, and Sweet November was not bad at all. However, I suspect that I only mention the last one because I only just watched it. It really lacks a lot to be really memorable and thinking it over while I am writing, I think that only the acting quality of Charlize Theron made it worth watching at all.
Oh, and there is In the Mood for Love, of Course, and also Eat Drink Man Woman, and I think that more will come when I keep searching. But as I said in the beginning...