Radon Institute for Computational and Applied Mathematics (RICAM), Austrian Academy of Sciences
RICAM Research Group "Mathematical Methods in Molecular and Systems Biology"
Apostelgasse 23/ 3rd floor
A 1030 Wien, Austria
Email: dietmar at cims.nyu.edu
Research:Biological systems integrate a multitude of processes on various spatial and temporal scales. The output of biological processes is typically robust to a range of random perturbations, and frequently redundant processes coexist which further increases the insensitivity to variations triggered by evolution and differentiation. Mathematics is an outstanding tool to investigate such cooperative mechanisms on the molecular level which can hardly be assessed experimentally.
Building on a sound applied mathematics and partial differential equations background, the area of my research is to identify and describe processes in cell biology by formulating mathematical models, to evaluate them using numerical simulation and mathematical analysis and to validate such models against experimental data.
Essential aspects of my research are the formulation and simulation of stochastic microscopic models and the use of asymptotic analysis to derive and justify coarse-grained continuum models.
I studied Technical Mathematics at the Vienna University of Technology. Furthermore I earned a Master's degree in Law and I finished the first ("non-clinical") part of Medical Studies (1. Diplomprüfung) at the University of Vienna.
I earned my PhD in Applied Mathematics from 2004 to 2007 at the University of Vienna (Fac. of Mathematics) as a member of the Wissenschaftskolleg "Differential Equations" of the Austrian Science Fund. My PhD advisor was Christian Schmeiser, my co-advisor was Peter Markowich. In the summer of the year 2005 I spent three months at the University of Buenos Aires working with C. Lederman. In spring 2007 I spent four months at the ENS-Paris rue d'Ulm in the group of B. Perthame.
In summer 2007 (July-September) I was invited as a visiting professor the the Universidad Nacionál de San Luis, Argentina (UNSL) to teach a lecture course on Applied Mathematics. From 2007-2008 I was a Post-Doc at Wolfgang Pauli Insitute, Vienna. Later on (2009-2010) I was assistant Professor on a temporary position at the Faculty of Mathematics, University of Vienna. From August 2010 till October 2013 I was a Research Scientist in the group "Mathematical Methods in Molecular and Systems Biology" of RICAM in the vicinity of the Vienna Bio Center. In 2013 I won an Erwin Schrödinger Fellowship of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF). I was a post-doc researcher in the group of Alex Mogilner first at UC Davis, then at the Courant Institute of Math. Sciences (New York University). Currently I am back in Vienna funded through the Erwin Schrödinger Fellowship.
- October 2003-June 2006 Tutor in ''UE Mathematik für Kulturtechniker I and II'' at the University of Live Sciences (BOKU), Vienna.
- August-September 2007: Lecture course in Spanish on ''Applied Mathematics (Variational Calculus, PDEs)'' at the Universidad Nacional de San Luis.
- SS 2009: Mathematik für Molekulare Biologen
- Vorlesung (Nr. 300.375, 2-stdg., Vorlesungsverzeichnis) und
- Übungen (Nr. 300.376, 2-stdg., Vorlesungsverzeichnis).
- SS 2010: Mathematik für Molekulare Biologen
- Vorlesung (Nr. 300.375, 2-stdg., Vorlesungsverzeichnis) und
- Übungen (Nr. 300.376, 2-stdg., Vorlesungsverzeichnis).
- Winter term 2012: Mathematics for Chemists 1, Johannes Kepler University Linz (JKU)
For more information consult the website of this course .
- Lecute cource (2 hours) und
- Exercise Classes (2 hours)
- Winter term 2014: Instructor of Calculus 1, Courant Institute (NYU).
- A. Manhart, D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser, N. Sfakianakis: Numerical Treatment of the Filament Based Lamellipodium Model (FBLM). preprint(pdf)
- D. Oelz, A. Mogilner: A drift-diffusion model for molecular motor transport in anisotropic filament bundles. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems-Series A, 36(8), pp. 4553-4567, 2016. preprint(pdf)
- S. Hirsch, D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser: Existence and uniqueness of solutions for a model of non-sarcomeric actomyosin bundles. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems-Series A 36 (2016), pp. 4945-4962. preprint(pdf)
- D. Oelz, A. Mogilner: Actomyosin contraction, aggregation and traveling waves in a treadmilling actin array. Physica D, Vol 318-319, pp 70-83, 2016. preprint(pdf)
- D. Oelz, B. Rubinstein, A. Mogilner: A Combination of Actin Treadmilling and Cross-Linking Drives Contraction of Random Actomyosin Arrays (Contraction of random actomyosin arrays is enabled by the combined effect of actin treadmilling and crosslinking). Biophys. J., Vol. 109, Issue 9, p1818-1829, 3 Nov. 2015 preprint(pdf)
- V. Milisic, D. Oelz: Tear-off versus global existence for a structured model of adhesion mediated by transient elastic linkages. Commun. Math. Sci., Vol. 14, No. 5, pp 1353-1372, 2016. preprint(arxiv)
- A. Manhart, D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser , N. Sfakianakis: An extended Filament Based Lamellipodium Model produces various moving cell shapes in the presence of chemotactic signals. J. Theor. Bio., Volume 382, 7 October 2015, pp. 244-258. preprint(arxiv) , ( Movie 1, Movie 2)
- V. Milisic, D. Oelz: On a Structured Model for Load-Dependent Reaction Kinetics of Transient Elastic Linkages Mediating Nonlinear Friction. SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis 2015 47:3, 2104-2121. preprint(pdf)
- J. Haskovec, D. Oelz: A free boundary problem for aggregation by short range sensing and differentiated diffusion. DCDS-B, Vol. 20, Issue 5, July 2015 , pp. 1461 - 1480, preprint(pdf)
- D. Oelz, S. Trabelsi: Analysis of a relaxation scheme for a nonlinear Schrödinger equation occurring in Plasma Physics. preprint(pdf) Mathematical Modelling and Analysis. Volume 19, Issue 2, 2014
- D. Oelz: A viscous two-phase model for contractile actomyosin bundles. preprint(pdf) , J. of Math. Biology, Journal of Math. Biology, June 2014, Volume 68, Issue 7, pp 1653-1676.
- D. Oelz: Convergence of the penalty method applied to a constrained curve straightening flow. preprint(pdf) , Comm. in Math. Sciences. Vol. 12 (2014), 4, pp. 601 – 621
- V. Milisic, D. Oelz: On the asymptotic regime of a model for friction mediated by transient elastic linkages. Journal de Mathématiques Pures et Appliquées, Volume 96, Issue 5, Nov. 2011,484-501.
- D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser: Simulation of lamellipodial fragments. Journal of Mathematical Biology, 64:513-528, 2012. preprint(pdf)
- D. Oelz: On the curve straightening flow of inextensible, open, planar curves. preprint(pdf) , SeMA Journal, no. 54 (2011), 5-24
- D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser: Derivation of a model for symmetric lamellipodia with instantaneous cross-link turnover. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal., Volume 198, Issue 3 (2010), Page 963. preprint(pdf)
- D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser, J. V. Small: Modelling of the Actin-cytoskeleton in symmetric lamellipodial fragments. Cell Adhesion and Migration, 2/2(2008), 117 - 126 preprint(pdf) , 2008
- V. Calvez, N. Lenuzza, D. Oelz, J-Ph. Deslys, P. Laurent, F. Mouthon, B. Perthame: Size distribution dependence of prion aggregates infectivity. Math. Biosci. 217, No. 1, 88-99 (2009). Preprint HAL hal-00255790 .
- C. Lederman, D. Oelz: A quasilinear parabolic singular perturbation problem. Interfaces and Free Boundaries 10, No 4 (2008), p. 447-482
- J. Dolbeault, P. Markowich, D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser: Non linear Diffusions as Limit of Kinetic Equations with Relaxation Collision Kernels. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 186(2007), 133-158,. preprint(pdf)
- F. Chalub, Y. Dolak-Struss, P.A. Markowich, D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser, A. Soreff: Model hierarchies for cell aggregation by chemotaxis. Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, Vol. 16, Supplementary Issue 1 (2006) 1173-1197 preprint(pdf)
- D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser, A. Soreff: Multistep navigation of leukocytes: a stochastic model with memory effects , Math. Med. Biol. 22, No. 4, 291-303 (2005). preprint(pdf) , movie
Articles in Conference Proceedings:
- D. Oelz: "Modeling of friction effects caused by protein linkages." In: W. Alt, D. Ambrosi: Mini-Workshop(Mechanics of Cell Motion). Oberwolfach Reports, Volume 7, Issue 3, pp. 2165-2193 (2010) .
Chapters in books:
- D. Oelz, C. Schmeiser: How do cells move? mathematical modelling of cytoskeleton dynamics and cell migration. In Cell mechanics: from single scale-based models to multiscale modelling, eds. A. Chauviere, L. Preziosi, and C. Verdier, Chapman and Hall / CRC Press, 2010. preprint(pdf)
- D. Oelz, P. Markowich: Chemotactic cell motion and biological pattern formation. In: Applied Partial Differential Equations: A Visual Approach (by P. Markowich). December 28, 2006.
Formal academic publications:
- Diploma thesis: Modelling and simulation of Leukocyte Chemotaxis and comparison with migration experiments. Vienna, 2003
- PhD thesis: Asymptotic nonlinear models in Mathematical Physics and Biology. Vienna, 2007
- 13th Bellman Prize (2011) for the paper "Size distribution dependence of prion aggregates infectivity" (2009) award by the journal "Mathematical Biosciences".
- 2013: Erwin Schrödinger Fellowship J3463-N25 (EUR 155.595,00) of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
Organization of conferences and workshops
- I organized, together with N. Sfakianakis (U. Mainz) the mini-symposium "Modeling and Simulations of Biopolymeric Meshworks" at the 2012 SMB meeting in Knoxville, Tennessee
- Apr 23-25 2014. Together with Vuk Milisic (Univ. Paris XIII) I organized the workshop "Structured Integro-Differential models in Mathematical Biology" hosted and financially supported by the Wolfgang Pauli Insitute (Vienna).
- August 2004, Workshop on Kinetic models for multiscale problems at the Banff International Research Station in Alberta.
- Workshop on Mathematical Methods and Modeling of Biophysical Phenomena organised by the IMPA, Rio de Janeiro, in February 2005
- Workshop on Bioinformatics and Biomathematics organised by the WPI, Ecole polytechnique and IPM in Teheran in April 2005 (invited talk)
- ECMTB conference on Mathematical Biology, organised by ESMTB and SMB, Dresden, July 18-22, 2005(Poster)
- Invited talk at the International Conference ISAAC 2005 in Catania, Italy, July 25-30, 2005
- III International Symposium on Nonlinear PDEs and Free Boundary Problems in Buenos Aires, August 1st-5th, 2005
- Workshop on Cell Motility and Cytoskeletal Dynamics at the WPI, Vienna, November 2005
- Workshop on Mathematical Methods and Modeling of Biophysical Phenomena organised by the IMPA, Rio de Janeiro, in March 2006
- Life Sciences Day of the WWTF (Vienna Science and Technology Fund), June 2006 ( Poster )
- Invited talk, Modelización de la dinámica de filamentos de Actin en lamellipodias de keratocytos , Universidad Nacional de San Luis (UNSL, Argentina), 28 of July 2006, (esta charla se dio en castellano!!!)
- Participation in the EMS summer school Mathematics in Molecular Cell Biology in Linz, September 2006
- Talk at the Workshop on Mathematical Modelling of Actin-Based Motility organised by the WPI, Vienna, November 2006
- March-June 2007: Short stay at the ENS-Paris/DMA in the framework of the DEASE-Marie Curie Early Stage Training multi site.
- Apri 2007: Invited talk at the Universite de Picardie Jules Verne, Amiens, France
- July-September 2007: Visiting professor at the Universidad Nacionál de San Luis, Argentina (UNSL), invited talk in July 2007
- September 2007: Invited Talk at the Workshop on "Mathematical Methods and Modeling of Biophysical Phenomena", Buzios, Brazil. Organised by the IMPA, Rio de Janeiro.
- October 2007: Course on "Cell shape changes : Division, movements, morphogenesis" , Paris, Oct 8, 2007 to Oct 12, 2007, organised by the Institut Curie, Paris.
- March 2008: Talk on "On the curve straightening flow of planar open curves." DAMTP (Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics) University of Cambridge, UK.
- April, 10-12 2008: Invited talk at the conference on "PDE and variational methods in life sciences" with the title "From the curve straightening flow in the plane to a model for the Lamellipodial Actin-cytoskeleton" at the Journées de Metz 2008, University of Metz, France.
- May 27-30, 2008: Poster at the Workshop on "Quantitative Approaches to Cell Motility and Chemotaxis" at the IMA , Minneapolis, NN.
- July-August 2008: Research stay at the Universidad Nacionál de San Luis, Argentina (UNSL). August 29th, 2008: talk with the title "On the Curve Straightening Flow of Planar Curves."
- October 2008: Research stay at the Universidad of Creta, Greece.
- February 9 to 13 2009: Conference on Mathematical Biology: Modelling and Differential Equations at the Center of Mathematical Research (CRM, Barcelona).
- March 15 to 21, 2009: Invited Talk at the conference on "Mathematical Modeling of Biophysical Phenomena", Angra dos Reis, Brazil. Organised by the IMPA, Rio de Janeiro.
- July 13 to 17, 2009: Poster at the workshop on "Multiscale Analysis of Self-Organization in Biology", Banff Internation Research Station, Canada.
- August 22 to 28, 2010: Mini-Workshop: Mechanics of Cell Motion in Oberwolfach
- March 20 to 26, 2011. Invited talk at the conference "Mathematical Methods and Modeling of Biophysical Phenomena" in Iguazu, Brazil. Organised by the IMPA, Rio de Janeiro
- June 28 - July 2, 2011, 8th European Conference on Mathematical and Theoretical Biology, Krakow.
- 26-28 September 2011, Nonlinear PDEs arising in mathematical biology, ICMS, Edinburgh
- June 22, 2012 Seminar Talk "Modeling of asymmetric segregation of PIE-1 in C-elegans embryos" at the LAGA of Université Paris XIII.
- Talk at the Minisymposium "Modeling and Simulations of Biopolymeric Meshworks" in the SMB Meeting in Knoxville (Tennessee), July 2012
- Talk at the workshop "Cell biology and physiology: PDE models" in Heraklion (Greece), October 4 to 6, 2012.
- Febr 9-24, 2013, Research stay at the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- March 3-9, 2013, Workshop "Mathematical Methods and Modeling of Biophysical Phenomena", IMPA, Cabo Frio, Brasil
- Mai 29-June2, 2013, 4th Conference on Computational and Mathematical Population Dynamics (CMPD4), Taiyuan, China
- Feb 15-Feb 19, 2014, Annual Conference of the Society for Biophysics, San Francisco
- June 5: Seminar talk in the Applied Math Lab Seminar (Courant Institute, New York Unversity).
- Oct 27-31, 2014: EMBO Workshop on a Systems-Level View of Cytoskeletal Function, Stockholm
- November 25: Seminar talk in the Biomathematics/Computational Biology Colloquium (Courant Institute, New York Unversity).
- February 7-11, 2015, 59th Annual Meeting of the Society for Biophysics, Baltimore
- March 1-5, 2015, Workshop "Mathematical Methods and Modeling of Biophysical Phenomena", IMPA, Cabo Frio, Brasil.
- July 2 2015. Contributed talk at the SMB-Meeting in Atlanta, GA.